New to Cold Calling, Getting Discouraged Already

Josh, I'd like to talk to you about your P&C lists. Can you get specific enough to determine good credit from bad on prospects? I currently work with a company that will sell me people with good CP Attract scores, but the prices are pretty steep.

Sure can, all in the base pricing too. Just give me a call or short me an email and well get you squared away.

A good script that you are comfortable with is a huge key. What may work for some may not work for others. Obviously I'm new to the form, but not to the insurance industry.
I totally agree that people on the other end of the phone hear more of what you're feeling and thinking than you may think. A smile in your voice goes a long way. Remember to turn that frown upside down.

I hate making dials but I've noticed it's a lot like going to the gym. When you first start going, it's hard and you're sore the next day. As you do the activity more and make it a habit then it gets to the point where it bothers you if you DON'T do it. Love the activity, not the result.

Josh, are you able to get a list of companies who are a part of a partnership? Or that are incorporated vs non?
Thank you

To some degree, but that's a bit outside of the standard business and consumer databases. That'd have to be a manual search for companies with that in their name or something like that so it wouldn't be super inclusive.

MIM...good analogy...you don't like working out while you're doing it but you're glad when it's done and t gets easier over time.

Beachbum...some of the basics that maybe you've already considered that most people overlook that I can elaborate on more if needed. 1) good targeted lists for your your product target demographic (age, income, etc.). 2) Call during the right times to increase live pick-ups. 3) Have a good script that will evolve each day.

You're right it is a numbers game and with each call you will get better. And do get a dialer as hand dialing 25-35 calls per hour versus hundreds per hour will increase your "numbers." Any dialer will do but just make sure it's easy to use and fits your budget...even a single dialer will be great to start. Good luck!

I found this forum a couple months ago and have read (and re-read) a ton of the threads on here already, especially in the Cold Calling forum. Lots of good info. I've got just less than a year under my belt as a L&H agent. I'm a non-captive agent with one of the biggest agencies in MI that sell Medicare products. They set about 5 T65 appointments for us per week, so that leaves plenty of time left to prospect. So based on advice from some of the most successful agents at our agency, and from many of you in this forum, I purchased a list of 67-75 year-olds and have started cold calling.

Now granted I'm just getting started, but I'm already getting frustrated. I'm not using a dialer to start so I can take a few minutes after calls where I actually have a conversation to think about what was said and how it could've gone better. So far through about 250 dials (8-10 hours), I haven't set any appointments or even gotten any interest. I've had 56 contacts out of these 250. What adds to the frustration is that over 25% of the numbers I purchased are bad (e.g. disconnected, fax #'s, etc.).

This being the first list I've ever purchased and never cold calling before, it's a little demoralizing. I understand it's a numbers game, about variance, etc., but it's a little hard to believe in something I haven't had any success at yet. I'm using the Medsupp script at freetelemarketingscripts to start which seems pretty solid, so I'm not sure there's a problem with the script.

Anyway just looking for any advice y'all might have. Should I just keep at what I'm doing and don't worry about the results so far? Should I change up my script, and if not now, how long should I give it before I do? Right now I'm calling folks in the Flint & Detroit metro area, which have a lot of UAW retirees. Maybe I should focus on other parts of MI where more folks have Medsupps and less have BCBS thru the union? Any advice is appreciated.

My advice would be to pay for a dialer. You will more than make up for the costs in time savings and sales. Cold-calling without a dialer would suck.

Back