New to the Business

Newlifeagent

Hi Everyone on the forum! I saw this topic about getting started in insurance and felt it really was what I was looking for.
I'm brand new to the life insurance world. Passed the licensing 6 weeks ago and have gotten a job with a Nationwide agent to sell life insurance for him. Nice guy, I felt he has given me a good chance with plenty of opportunities, but he hasn't given me any direction!
Whats a good way to start working within this agency? Just meet customers as they come in and ask for a life sale?
I'm still reading all of the posts on the forum, so I might answer my own question. If anyone has a little direction as to a few ideas for me to start I would appreicate it.

Thanks again from a "newbie"

Whats a good way to start working within this agency? Just meet customers as they come in and ask for a life sale?

That is a good way to be out of a job in two weeks. No one comes in asking for life insurance. Those that do are probably uninsurable or highly rated. If Nationwide doesn't have something for those, you will be wasting what little time you actually spend working.

As David said, you need to be proactive and reach out to existing clients. Sit down with the agent and develop a marketing plan. Also, you will need to prospect outside the agency's existing book.

Maybe try a non threatening mailing. From the Agent to his book. A "Did you know..." type piece. "Did you know As a Nationwide client you have access to low cost term?" Use the agent and company's name and good will.

You are new, So I would suggest you start looking for the low hanging fruit first. The people that want to talk to you about Life Insurance. Term is not the answer to all problems, However, for a new agent that need to get some sales under their belt. It is an easier sale.

When I started (stone age) it was way pre-laptop. I did not like the rate book. So I spend a week setting up a What If book. I had ages from 30 to 50 at 5 year bands. Premiums from $25 - $167. per month. I sold premium. There are a lot to guys that still sell by premium amount. Especially when they first start out. And they are still trying not to flinch when asking for a check.

Think about package selling the Life Insurance. Say they are paying $160. a month now for there P&C. For $187.99 they also get XX amount of term life with a Terminal Illness rider and a Guaranteed option to convert to a Cash Value policy. We can even add a rider to cover the life premium if you become disabled.

Once you get used to writing apps and getting check it becomes much easier.

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I've got some good tips on starting now. I"m sure as I get my feet wet I'll come up with more and more ways to get in front of prospects.

Maybe try a non threatening mailing. From the Agent to his book. A "Did you know..." type piece. "Did you know As a Nationwide client you have access to low cost term?" Use the agent and company's name and good will.

You are new, So I would suggest you start looking for the low hanging fruit first. The people that want to talk to you about Life Insurance. Term is not the answer to all problems, However, for a new agent that need to get some sales under their belt. It is an easier sale.

When I started (stone age) it was way pre-laptop. I did not like the rate book. So I spend a week setting up a What If book. I had ages from 30 to 50 at 5 year bands. Premiums from $25 - $167. per month. I sold premium. There are a lot to guys that still sell by premium amount. Especially when they first start out. And they are still trying not to flinch when asking for a check.

Think about package selling the Life Insurance. Say they are paying $160. a month now for there P&C. For $187.99 they also get XX amount of term life with a Terminal Illness rider and a Guaranteed option to convert to a Cash Value policy. We can even add a rider to cover the life premium if you become disabled.

Once you get used to writing apps and getting check it becomes much easier.

I love this. I have the most success cross-selling when I present the coverage as a package: "Your total monthly premium comes out to $325.55. $255.40 will go towards your health insurance, and the remaining $70.15 will pay for your life insurance coverage."

Back