Newbie: My First 24 Hours on the Job...

What should I do?

• Total voters
Wow, so you pretty much change your schedule to focus on the business/agency and he gets mad at you. Hmmmm, maybe he was off his meds that day.

I would give him another chance. See how you do and if you like the business. If you do like selling insurance, and he is still a jerk in a month or so, take what you learned from him and find someone else to work for.

how hard is it to leave an IA if you aren't happy? If the OP is there say, 3-4 months and the douchebaggery of the owner is too much to handle, can he just up and leave? It sounds like there would be more to it than that...

This business is tough enough without having to put with this a-hole. When I first started in the business five and a half years ago, I signed on captive with American General. My best friend hired me and was my sales manager and mentor through the first 6 months. Not only did I gain a solid sales foundation, but I enjoyed my job and wanted to do well for him because of our mutual respect for one another. Trust me when I say that this job is so much easier and more enjoyable when you like the person with whom you work.

Approach a State Farm agent and explain to them you want to become an agent someday and are willing to learn the business from the ground up in exchange for giving them 2 good years. They will give you good training while you learn the business, then in a couple of years, get out and go on your own. They kill for motivated employees that want to be like them.

Approach a State Farm agent and explain to them you want to become an agent someday and are willing to learn the business from the ground up in exchange for giving them 2 good years. They will give you good training while you learn the business, then in a couple of years, get out and go on your own. They kill for motivated employees that want to be like them.

That is a viable plan. I wouldn't want to be a SF agent with the current contract but it would be a good way to learn the business.

I would go captive; Farmers or State Farm will set you up with some training. Try to filter that training and don't just buy into the "Farmers Way' or the "State Farm Way" if your goal is to go IA. Or find a captive that pays a salary (I think Liberty Mutual is one). Learning this business is key. You are starting in a very tough market in MI, so you will have to be an IA to every make more than lunch money (my opinion); but you need the training. Start with a exit plan to leave, but if you can see it working for you be ready to reconsider that.

The two things you can't do is stay with "John" or home depot. Being a insurance agent and building an agency deserves your full time attention. You have to consider when you sale insurance people want to trust and respect the agent, they want to think your a smart guy that they can feel comfortable sharing personal info with and protecting the family assests. Plus the image is that you are making a good living, so why do you need a side job. If they need you they want to think you'll be they, not at a side job. Commit to insurance and grow it into a real book or stay with home depot, which aint bad if you seek managment. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back