Newer agent. Not the brightest question.

PhxSunsFan

Guru
In telesales,, we reach the interested person.. who will no way give out ss,, bank info etc,, I'm aware of how to overcome most,,, but for some, I'd like something like apptical , etc to be able to take the info... they dont.. any suggestions along those lines. where a 3rd party like the ins company can ask at point of tele sale, where the interested party wont give to the agent...

heres my fav... agent: whats your social?
client... I do not give out that info
agent... I understand... thanks for lettiing me know... a lot of my clients say that... what's your social?

agent... I understand... thanks for lettiing me know... a lot of my clients say that... what's your social?
client... Click.

:yes:

On the other hand, if he's already committed to buying, go to his house and write him up.

First mistake/misnomer: "we reach the interested person" - did you reach them or did they reach you?

This is a textbook case of was this person a lead or a prospect? Big difference...
Prospects call YOU. Leads...you "reach". How do you know they are even interested?

If it was a lead that you had to chase down with 4-8 calls just to get them to answer their phone (like a Facebook lead) - then you are already starting off as the "mouse" - from the get go you are trying to convince them that you're not a scam...you're selling them versus they are a ready, willing and able buyer in the right frame of mind to buy now...

With telemarketing especially (versus F2F) when dealing with leads versus prospects - you'll need to work harder to build the know, like and trust. That takes skill in rapport building. How long was your presentation (better have been over 45 minutes)? Did you deliver it like a pro? Did they really get to know you?

Obviously they ultimately didn't trust you (to give up that information)... I call getting their SS# and banking - the "money shot"...woman agents have a natural advantage versus male agents over the phone since probably 60%+ of customers are woman...I think it's much easier for female agents to build rapport with both female/male customers.

SO - When you have prospects calling you - you already have a number of advantages versus dealing with leads:

1. The prospect is in the right frame of mind - looking to buy now
2. You already have a higher level of trust - they called you so it's less of a "scam"
3. You start the entire relationship off as the cat versus the mouse

If you're licensed in 8+ states including at least CA, FL or TX (minimum # to be successful in telesales) and are willing to put in the effort of around 5 hours/day talk time (that means about an 8 hour work day) then you must spend your time talking to prospects not leads. You'll net after acquisition costs between $4,000-$5,000/week.

Starting January 5, 2021 - you can have prospects call you. Just like those agents working for the monster captives at low commission rates do. They talk to inbound callers. The "ultimate" lead (really just a prospect) is now available to all independent agents and small agencies - contact me.

EVERYONE that telemarkets who has experienced inbound calls directly from prospects (not talking about a live transfer from an offshore telemarketed list) - they'll all tell you it's hard to go back to outbound calling of leads. Very hard.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have my opening statement be:

"Hi, this is Barry in the final expense department - who do I have the pleasure of speaking with today?"

Versus

"Hi Mary? This is Barry with Senior Benefits and I'm calling you back because you requested information on Facebook about the new 2020 state approved final expense plans"...blah blah blah...CLICK.

In telesales,, we reach the interested person.. who will no way give out ss,, bank info etc,, I'm aware of how to overcome most,,, but for some, I'd like something like apptical , etc to be able to take the info... they dont.. any suggestions along those lines. where a 3rd party like the ins company can ask at point of tele sale, where the interested party wont give to the agent...

If you're going to be doing sales like this, and they did NOT request contact at first, you need to show them how they can verify your license with the state. If you don't do this, they won't give you their information.

And you wouldn't WANT them to! With all the car warranty scams, social security & IRS scams... you WANT people to be "on their guard" for their own protection.

For me, the link to my California state insurance license is at the top of my website. Most people can't tell that it's "clickable", but it is, and it goes straight to my insurance license information with California.

www.dynamicadvancedwealth.com

I would actually START my conversations with the "elephant in the room" with something along the lines of:

"I appreciate your time and I want to bring something up right away. I want you to know that I am a licensed insurance agent here in the State of California and you can verify my licensing and my license number there. I bring this up because... if we decide to move forward, there will be a point when I will need to ask you more personally identifiable questions like your Social Security number, your date of birth, and either a credit/debit card OR bank account information. I just want you to know that you are dealing with someone who is licensed and regulated by the state."

"Would you like me to email you a PDF copy of my license for your records?"

And if you happen to have any other credentials, you can send them a link to your certification as well. The American College just started doing this in the past couple of weeks, so you can have your credentials verified as well:

{{ $ctrl.meta.title }}

Whatever it takes for them to realize that you are NOT going to 'scam' them and that they know where and how to file a complaint... if they had to.

With Sr Life you can simply type in "111-11-1111" where the soc. # goes. I might need this one out of 50 times via FE tele-sales. I almost never have any problem getting the soc. # nor the routing and account #.

You may be short cutting your warm up. Are you cold calling strangers from a list or calling people who have responded to an ad for more information?

What product are you pitching? If you're working live transfer FE TV leads, or calling FE leads just a few min after they responded to a TV commercial, your trust and authority are thru the roof!

Call me if you'd like.

If you're going to be doing sales like this, and they did NOT request contact at first, you need to show them how they can verify your license with the state. If you don't do this, they won't give you their information.

And you wouldn't WANT them to! With all the car warranty scams, social security & IRS scams... you WANT people to be "on their guard" for their own protection.

Btw, if I remember right, this is exactly what @Rearden talks about doing in HIS book for in-person final expense sales. I can't think of any reason NOT to for tele-sales or any other non-in-person sales situation.

F2F agent here, to hear those words is to hear your prospect say "I don't trust you".

#1 You don't fix that then, you fix that issue in the beginning during your warm up. (Don't know you from Sam Hill, but I would bet you are a fast talker. Slow down and use more pauses. Just a suggestion.)

#2 If they are truly a prospect, they will provide it.

One simple nudge is, "I'm sorry, but all insurance companies require your SS number. if they will not comply to this, then they aren't sold.

we reach the interested person.. who will no way give out ss,, bank info etc,,

Either they really aren't interested . . .

Or you have not established credibility with this person.

There aren't enough "warm up conversations", "power phrases" or "closing techniques" to overcome these issues.

Something you are saying (or not saying), the tone and inflection in your voice or any number of other things are telegraphing "DO NOT TRUST THIS GUY" to your prospect.

Could be also you are rushing the presentation, making them feel pressured to buy.

Perhaps I missed it, but are these "warm (call in ) leads" or interruption marketing (cold calling)?

Do they think they have a problem? If not, you don't have a sale. If so, did you demonstrate that you are the solution to their problem? Is your presentation a script, or are you weaving it into what should be a bi-lateral conversation? Are you dominating the conversation, or are you allowing your prospect to do most of the talking? Don't be so anxious to ask for personal information and get through your script, that you forget to show them that problem exists. Once you have done so, ask them what their solution is to the problem. What's Plan A and what's Plan B, Mrs. Client? This is all before you ask for SS#'s and bank accounts. Once they agree you are the solution to their problem, they will commit and give you everything you need.

Back