No money for cremation...options?

ValeRosso

Guru
What happens if someone dies and their family has zero money to pay for cremation (or burial)? I found an option that the state will pay up to $750, but the funeral home must be an authorized provider. Upon checking with providers, they’re still charging $3k+. This person is in PA.

Anyone know of any options here other than digging a hole in the woods and burying the person?

In the US, you can release the body to the coroner for the state to dispose of the body. You actually only have to pay for services if you recover remains.

If your person does not have money in the account when they pass and the family wants remains, beg for donations.

I feel bad for people that couldn't afford the 3k to create someone, but the shell of a person is not the person.

What Travis said.

Locally the County cremates the unclaimed and abandoned. Stores the boxes of remains until there are enough for a mass burial then they are buried in a mass grave.

Another note: If the person was a Veteran there may be some benefits and a place at a National Cemetery along with Honors.

Last edited:
In the US, you can release the body to the coroner for the state to dispose of the body. You actually only have to pay for services if you recover remains.

If your person does not have money in the account when they pass and the family wants remains, beg for donations.

I feel bad for people that couldn't afford the 3k to create someone, but the shell of a person is not the person.
In this area a cremation can be had for $700

Anyone know of any options here other than digging a hole in the woods and burying the person?

I was going to see if I could google a few ideas for you, then caught myself. Last thing I need is a search history that includes "how to dispose of a body for free?"

I will say that here in PA, the hole in the woods things works anywhere but Philly and Pittsburgh.

Back