Not Interested

Very likely the opening of your call that causes/elicits these replies. Impossible to diagnose without knowing it. What do you say?

This is _______ I am a medicare supplement agent in the area and I am calling because there has been some rate increases in ________ county. it would only take a moment to see if you can save some money on your premium without changing your benefits.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

This is _______ I am a medicare supplement agent in the area and I am calling because there has been some rate increases in ________ county. it would only take a moment to see if you can save some money on your premium without changing your benefits.

Hello Mr./Mrs.___________, this is____________. I'm an independent local insurance agent and I'm looking for people in the area that aren't happy with their Medicare Supplement premiums. Would you know anybody like that?

Yup, just as I suspected. They hear "save money" - and think that means "less coverage". They DON'T hear "without changing your benefits".

Try this:

"This is ______________. Did I get you at a bad time? (called a pattern interrupt) Great, I'm sure my name is not familiar to you. Would it be ok if I take 15 seconds to tell you why I'm calling, and then you can decide whether we continue the conversation? I've been talking with many seniors in _______ County who are confused about their Medicare coverage, uneasy that they have the right coverage for them, or frustrated that they may be paying too high a premium for their coverage.
Would any of those apply to you?"

Cold calling has some serious limitations. Your ONLY goal in doing it should be to start a conversation. It allows you to probe for dissatisfaction on all levels - not just price.

Good luck.

I guess I am focusing too much on price.
I am using the cold calling to build my book and then hopefully referrals kick in at some time. I have not found any Internet leads for supps that are worth the cost.

Last edited:
I never thought of that, I thought it was the part of the intro. Makes sense though, thank you. I have been a consumer much longer than an agent and I can tell when someone is reading a script immediately. I hate it and am put off immediately, so I was trying not to sound that way and be upfront from the start.

Yup, just as I suspected. They hear "save money" - and think that means "less coverage". They DON'T hear "without changing your benefits".

Try this:

"This is ______________. Did I get you at a bad time? (called a pattern interrupt) Great, I'm sure my name is not familiar to you. Would it be ok if I take 15 seconds to tell you why I'm calling, and then you can decide whether we continue the conversation? I've been talking with many seniors in _______ County who are confused about their Medicare coverage, uneasy that they have the right coverage for them, or frustrated that they may be paying too high a premium for their coverage.
Would any of those apply to you?"

Cold calling has some serious limitations. Your ONLY goal in doing it should be to start a conversation. It allows you to probe for dissatisfaction on all levels - not just price.

Good luck.

I don't know if the Med Sup gurus agree, but I think that is pretty strong script. Could be adapted to a lot of other lines.
Thanks for sharing.

if you give them a much lower price and they say they are not interested then they are saying that they don't believe you. they are not entrepreneurs and don't comprehend pricing. ask them if you can show them in black and white or send something, etc. say- look on page 67 in your medicare and you handbook... they are all the same. keep this in mind, if they all said yes then we wouldn't get paid to do the work.

What you need to be able to do... is slow down the conversation enough to help avoid the ANRs (Automatic Negative Responses). That's why I really like the survey approaches. They are designed to ask a lot of questions and to get their input, instead of slamming down a 'final question' and asking for a decision.

Insurance (any kind of insurance) is complex, and not easily understood by most people. By slowing it down, and asking key questions, you can help the prospect understand what you do and build trust in you as an agent, all at the same time.

Latest posts

Back