Obama to Offer Health Care Fix to Keep Plans, Democrat Says

Questions:

1. Will these reinstated "illegal" plans avoid the tax penalty in 2014?​
2. Will the premiums stay the same once reinstated?​
3. President "O" says the insurance companies should do this. What if they don't?​
4. Why would an insurance company want a large claim loss back on the books?​
5. Can the insurance company choose which policies it reinstates?​
Just wondering.... :goofy:

1. Yes, that's the point of this bill. Specifically, section (b) "...[Plans described by section a] shall be treated as a grandfathered health plan..."
2. Probably Not. The bill specifically says "[the insurer]...may continue to after such date to offer such coverage for sale during 2014 in such market outside of an Exchange established under section...."
Key wording is "for sale", as in "new sales". We presume new sales would pay the rate for the quarter of the effective date. We also presume plans continued past their "revoked termination" would continue at the same premium until renewal.
3. They probably won't, don't hold your breath. If they don't, what's already happening will just stay the same. These people are termed, have been notified in writing multiple times, and many have already moved to new product. Who really sits around for months hoping that the term letter was in error?
4. They don't. Again, don't hold your breath. PPACA was an excuse more than a requirement for a lot of these termed products. The carriers don't want these products on the books. If they did, they'd find a way to keep them (as many carriers have).
5. Looks like it. "May" terminology implies it is the carrier's discretion. Nothing refers to a book/suite/portfolio of product, just "coverage".

Full bill text: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.3350.IH:/

So, basically, here is a law that allows companies to reverse a decision they willingly made, if they choose, now that they've already followed through and their clients have already moved on.

More importantly, planned over a year ago, filed 6+ months ago, and approved last quarter. If you want to reverse a year+ of planning, here's a 6-week window. Thanks government.

This will work out famously. Still, millions will lose their current coverage. But, importantly, it's now the carrier's fault and not the government, because the government is obviously allowing continuation. They went out of their way to make this bill known and to make it clear that the cancellations aren't Obama's fault.

They were before, obviously, because many companies chose to continue. But now it's CLEAR they are allowing it.

Last edited:
So, basically, here is a law that allows companies to reverse a decision they willingly made, if they choose, now that they've already followed through and their clients have already moved on.

More importantly, planned over a year ago, filed 6+ months ago, and approved last quarter. If you want to reverse a year+ of planning, here's a 6-week window.

This will work out famously. Still, millions will lose their current coverage. But, importantly, it's now the carrier's fault and not the government, because the government is obviously allowing continuation.

They were before, obviously, because many companies chose to continue. But now it's CLEAR they are allowing it.

Just saw this:

It's unclear what the impact of Thursday's changes will be for the millions of people who have already had their plans canceled. While officials said insurance companies will now be able to offer those people the option to renew their old plans, companies are not required to take that step - See more at: Policy cancellations: Obama will allow old plans.

Today I was listening to President Obama, and trying to find an appointment's address. Turned Right On Red where I shouldn't have. Police instantly pulled me over.

I apologized and told the officer that I was listening to President Obama further ruining America, which caused me to lose driving focus. He agreed, added a couple of derogatory comments of his own, told me that we'll survive despite that ____________, and sent me on my way.

I'll give credit where it's due. President Obama enabled me to avoid a moving violation citation today.
:yes:

Clearly Obama doesn't understand what a 'contract of adhesion' means. Might as well throw out all of our insurance laws relating to health insurance.
----------
I don't think Obama has an honorable bone in his body. In fact I'm not sure he even has a spine.

I could not agree more!

Today I was listening to President Obama, and trying to find an appointment's address. Turned Right On Red where I shouldn't have. Police instantly pulled me over. I apologized and told the officer that I was listening to President Obama further ruining America, which caused me to lose driving focus. He agreed, added a couple of derogatory comments of his own, told me that we'll survive despite that ____________, and sent me on my way. I'll give credit where it's due. President Obama enabled me to avoid a moving violation citation today. :yes:

Lol. Good job. Way to go.

Today I was listening to President Obama, and trying to find an appointment's address. Turned Right On Red where I shouldn't have. Police instantly pulled me over.

I apologized and told the officer that I was listening to President Obama further ruining America, which caused me to lose driving focus. He agreed, added a couple of derogatory comments of his own, told me that we'll survive despite that ____________, and sent me on my way.

I'll give credit where it's due. President Obama enabled me to avoid a moving violation citation today.
:yes:

That's a good story AC. Outstanding !

Back