Opinions of Starting an Independent Agency

jbins

I have reading this forum for awhile and thought I would ask for some qualified opinions from the established indy agents. A bit of history - I have been licensed P & C for 15 yrs and worked various MGA's (managing general agent) offices. I am a very detailed, organized and goal setting type A personality. I have always 'hit' my goals regarding loss ratios and sales when it came to dealing with my retail agents. I really want to open up my own indy agency--I have all the good contracts in place if I want them -- due to my prior experience I have made good contacts. My other main obstacle would be customers--like any business. I have the financial backup-so I am not going to be stressed about money. I am a bit concerned with 'selling' and how good of one I would be to be successful. Do you think to a degree I could learn how to be a good one to customers vs agents? Or do you think some people are just born salesmen? Do you think before going indy you should have hands on retail experience with customers? Another option before going indy...If you had a chance to work for your biggest competitor for a really low salary-would you do it just to gain the insight on the business? It might be good to see the competition from the inside--and there would be no noncompete in place. Thank you for any insight or opinions..

Last edited:
I plan on staying in the niche that I know --commercial p & C..maybe as we grow..i will leave the option open to other p/c products.

Last edited:
I have reading this forum for awhile and thought I would ask for some qualified opinions from the established indy agents. A bit of history - I have been licensed P & C for 15 yrs and worked various MGA's (managing general agent) offices. I am a very detailed, organized and goal setting type A personality. I have always 'hit' my goals regarding loss ratios and sales when it came to dealing with my retail agents. I really want to open up my own indy agency--I have all the good contracts in place if I want them -- due to my prior experience I have made good contacts. My other main obstacle would be customers--like any business. I have about 2 yrs worth of salary saved and have secured a line of business credit-so I am not going to be stressed about money. I am a bit concerned with 'selling' and how good of one I would be to be successful. Do you think to a degree I could learn how to be a good one to customers vs agents? Or do you think some people are just born salesmen? Do you think before going indy you should have hands on retail experience with customers? Another option before going indy...If you had a chance to work for your biggest competitor for a really low salary-would you do it just to gain the insight on the business? The salary offered is actually an insult but it might be good to see the competition from the inside--and there would be no noncompete in place. Thank you for any insight or opinions..

If you have enough desire you will likely succeed. I had almost no sales experience when my wife and I started scratch. She had it all. I am basically self tought as I can talk to just about anyone PLUS I am very self motivated. I am admittedly not the most knowledgeable insurance guy, but I can market and produce and that is most important.

If you have it in you, you will succeed.

Back