Other Conferences?

Multiplied by a convervative "3" for years of residuals lost. So one needs to decide of they think they will get more than $6600 in value from it.

Reminds me of carrier trips. Factor the week of lost revenue that you're gone, the taxes you'll pay being 1099'd, plus the greatest of them all which is your loss of your TIME.

If i'm going to lose revenue, i'll do it with the people I love. Not a bunch of drunk insurance agents.

Is there one in Texas you two could go to more cheaply, or was that something that moves around each year?

Is there one in Texas you two could go to more cheaply, or was that something that moves around each year?

I'm not a big "conference guy", or a carrier trip guy (obviously). I don't mind spending the money, or travel, if I feel there's an appropriate ROI though. I've been to that conference, and for me it most certainly was not worth it. I've been in the industry almost 10 years, and I could also think of far better ways for new agents especially to spend their hard-earned money.

You can get can 100X more value to help you in your business reading posts on this forum all weekend than attending that conference.

I'm not a big "conference guy", or a carrier trip guy (obviously). I don't mind spending the money, or travel, if I feel there's an appropriate ROI though. I've been to that conference, and for me it most certainly was not worth it. I've been in the industry almost 10 years, and I could also think of far better ways for new agents especially to spend their hard-earned money.

You can get can 100X more value to help you in your business reading posts on this forum all weekend than attending that conference.

Thanks for responding.

I certainly am not able to quantify value the way you did, but I have certainly come to be a believer in the quantity of information available onsite when one takes the time to do some hunting.

Seriously asking, because I just don't get it.

The cost is $700ish to just get in the door.

For me, tack on $1500 for plane, hotel, food (really booze) and whatever.

That's $2200 for 3 days.

That's 8 policies at $275 annual commission.

Do you really get enough out of it that you make an extra 8 sales a year?

I'm the networking queen and I still don't get it.
That is why would not go to the St Louis event. I do go to my SMS in Omaha event but everything is paid for based on my production. It does cost me 3-4 days in production but I do like the networking with other agents. I work from my home office, have no employees, so nice to get out of the house. My dog misses me for the 4 days I am gone, not so sure about the wife.

I am going to try and go to the SMS event in Omaha(never been). I have been to the SMS-Columbia event in Columbia. Sounds pretty similar to the event in Omaha. They don't make it easy on us do they but besides the cost of travel which I have family in STL shouldn't be much. Also, I used to live there for quite a bit and have a good portion of my book of business there. The one SMS event in STL is $100 that is if you go to the networking dinner with the carriers but in years past I got more out of that one than the Med Supp conference.

Anyone know if Ritter does anything like this? I have a couple contracts with them but don't recall anything like this with them. Would be interested in going if they did?

I agree with most of you on the "value" of these conferences and especially the carrier trips, but what would keep a group of agents from this forum or wherever from renting out a conf. room in a hotel somewhere where people actually want to go like Vegas, having a hour or two meet and greet, and calling it a "conference" i.e. tax deductible ?

Multiplied by a convervative "3" for years of residuals lost. So one needs to decide of they think they will get more than $6600 in value from it.

Reminds me of carrier trips. Factor the week of lost revenue that you're gone, the taxes you'll pay being 1099'd, plus the greatest of them all which is your loss of your TIME.

If i'm going to lose revenue, i'll do it with the people I love. Not a bunch of drunk insurance agents.
What if you love drunk insurance agents? Seems like a win win....

The value in conferences is less about the subject matter taught, and more about the relationships you create.
I agree, while I do think I am the smartest guy I know, I don't have all the answers. It is nice to get together, & potentially get some ideas to help me sell more policies. Couple of days won't break the bank. I do think the networking with other agents face to face is good idea 1 or 2 times per year.

Back