Overcoming The..."I Went with a Local Broker"

..... and then there are objection answers that always work for me that the competition many times just don't use. And I agree that confidence will win very often all by itself. Never let the competition beat you. I am a great beleiver that people buy the dalesman, as much or more than they buy product or company.

..... and then there are objection answers that always work for me that the competition many times just don't use. And I agree that confidence will win very often all by itself. Never let the competition beat you. I am a great beleiver that people buy the salesman, as much or more than they buy product or company.

You are 100% correct! I sell me, I don't sell insurance.

Seniors buy insurance from me because I make sure they know I always have their best interests in mind. I make them feel warm and fuzzy, I don't just try to make a sale.

This also goes to the definition of "local". When seniors have asked me that question it was always about whether or not I live in the same town they live in, it has never been about living in the same state.

taterpeeler. regarding your comment about speaking Texan, that I can easily grasp as a plus. Taking advantage of your niche and your personal strengths. That said, don't know the man that can sell them all, if that were possible there would be few of us....at least in this business. "The thrill of victory....the agony of defeat."

I'll annihilate any out-of-state agent.

Could have sworn you posted that you were no longer selling insurance.

As for the rest of this thread, I have been selling over the phone, in state and out of state, for at least 25 years. Since I transitioned to individual major med, and then senior plans, I have not changed my methods.

Most of the folks who have bought directly from me over the last 6 years have never met me personally.

I do feel I have an advantage, having lived in the south all my life and in GA since 1978. In most cases I can talk about GA events that's let's them know they are dealing with a "homeboy" vs a Texas furrener.

Most of the folks who have bought directly from me over the last 6 years have never met me personally.

I do feel I have an advantage,...

Having met you, perhaps the advantage you have is that most of your clients have not.

Or I could be speaking of myself. Too old to remember.

Rick

I've noticed that the senior market seems to be focused, at times, with going with the "local broker."

Good! I'm trying to dominate my little corner of Columbus, so if you are finding this to be true, then that is good news.

You could try to be the best local broker there is in your town... Brand yourself... Saturate your market.

Frankly, in the senior market, I think a local guy can have an edge because we know the MAPD plans, we know the hospitals, networks, etc. We also probably have a client or 2 in their neighborhood...that gives them confidence when you were their neighbor's agent.

This can help even if you only sell Med Supps...

Good! I'm trying to dominate my little corner of Columbus, so if you are finding this to be true, then that is good news.

You could try to be the best local broker there is in your town... Brand yourself... Saturate your market.

Frankly, in the senior market, I think a local guy can have an edge because we know the MAPD plans, we know the hospitals, networks, etc. We also probably have a client or 2 in their neighborhood...that gives them confidence when you were their neighbor's agent.

This can help even if you only sell Med Supps...

I have not found that to be true. The "local guy" will only have an edge if the non local guy doesn't have a clue what he is doing. It seems that most of the "local guys" I encountered were the ones who didn't have a clue.

I lived in a town of 143 people that was a "suburb" of a town of 12,000. Even if being local would have given me an advantage there still were not enough potential clients in my "local area" to pay my electric bill every month. I sold all over the state of MO as well in other states. Still do.

If one is really good at what they do being "local" by any definition doesn't mean a thing in my experience. I consider myself local to all 48 states.

I'm finding more and more that people really don't want an insurance agent taking up their time and sitting in their kitchen. I never thought I'd see that in the senior market.

Oh, thought I'd mention that the most enjoyable part of what I have been doing the last eighteen plus years has been going on appointments. I still do it when I have the time and opportunity.

I think Bob's post pretty well sums it up. He is a professional agent and knows of what he speaks.

I have not found that to be true. The "local guy" will only have an edge if the non local guy doesn't have a clue what he is doing. It seems that most of the "local guys" I encountered were the ones who didn't have a clue.

I lived in a town of 143 people that was a "suburb" of a town of 12,000. Even if being local would have given me an advantage there still were not enough potential clients in my "local area" to pay my electric bill every month. I sold all over the state of MO as well in other states. Still do.

If one is really good at what they do being "local" by any definition doesn't mean a thing in my experience. I consider myself local to all 48 states.

I'm finding more and more that people really don't want an insurance agent taking up their time and sitting in their kitchen. I never thought I'd see that in the senior market.

Oh, thought I'd mention that the most enjoyable part of what I have been doing the last eighteen plus years has been going on appointments. I still do it when I have the time and opportunity.

I think Bob's post pretty well sums it up. He is a professional agent and knows of what he speaks.

You don't think it's true that a local guy can have an edge? I'll respectfully disagree. Re-read my post. There are lots of things one can do to brand himself locally. There is also a lot of "local knowledge" that can help him - especially if your senior prospect is trying to look at all of their options (ma's and supps).

When it comes to local sales and being a local broker, I tell my clients that we can either do everything over the phone/through the mail/web, or since we're only 10 miles apart, I can come out for an appointment. I offer to meet with them, but I'm OK working with them in the same way I do my clients in other states.

When I make the offer, 8 times out of 10, they'd rather have me come out. It's not uncommon to see a "pre-filled" app from a broker in a different state (just took over 2 of those last week). The other two times out of 10, being local must mean little to nothing to the individual. Just a few hours ago I received a call from a lady wanting help, but she specifically asked, "Is there any way for us to set up an appointment for you to come out and help me with this?" I didn't even have to offer - this is what she wanted. You think I said, "no, let's just do it over the phone..." No way. It's almost a guaranteed sale... And she owns a restaurant with "good coffee", so I'm sure it will be a good visit.

We've all had times when we've out-sold the local broker. It can be done. My point, is that if you are competing with a really good local broker - it's an uphill battle.

You don't think it's true that a local guy can have an edge? I'll respectfully disagree. Re-read my post. There are lots of things one can do to brand himself locally. There is also a lot of "local knowledge" that can help him - especially if your senior prospect is trying to look at all of their options (ma's and supps).

When it comes to local sales and being a local broker, I tell my clients that we can either do everything over the phone/through the mail/web, or since we're only 10 miles apart, I can come out for an appointment. I offer to meet with them, but I'm OK working with them in the same way I do my clients in other states.

When I make the offer, 8 times out of 10, they'd rather have me come out. It's not uncommon to see a "pre-filled" app from a broker in a different state (just took over 2 of those last week). The other two times out of 10, being local must mean little to nothing to the individual. Just a few hours ago I received a call from a lady wanting help, but she specifically asked, "Is there any way for us to set up an appointment for you to come out and help me with this?" I didn't even have to offer - this is what she wanted. You think I said, "no, let's just do it over the phone..." No way. It's almost a guaranteed sale... And she owns a restaurant with "good coffee", so I'm sure it will be a good visit.

We've all had times when we've out-sold the local broker. It can be done. My point, is that if you are competing with a really good local broker - it's an uphill battle.

You may very well be right.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just had a poll done...90% of texans want a Texan if they can find one...stay the ufck out....

I had a poll done also...95% of Texans want an agent who knows how to spell and who respects them enough to capitalize the "T" in the word "Texans". ;)

Last edited:
Back