Pipe break over car

ZChalk

I live in a condo and a pipe break over my car left it covered completely with a white greasy substance. I hadn't checked on my car for a number of days because I was out of town. Security mentioned the pipe could have come from a restaurant.

I've washed my car a couple times that evening to try and get rid of the mess but I think my paint and glass could have been etched permanently. Will detail it this weekend when it's warm and I can see in the full sun. Will my premiums go up if I file a claim or call in for advice?

Find out from security who is responsible for the pipe. Was it negligence, age and deterioration, or an accident caused by another factor? Start there with the claim, take lots of pictures. I would also recommend NOT detailing the vehicle before any claim because the evidence is in the mess. Hope you have pictures from before any washing of the vehicle also.

Thanks... I did notify the parking garage, my condo, and security. I took lots of photos of the mess and have video evidence of the substance leaking from the pipe with security in the frame. I did, however, go and wash the car after security took photos as I was very concerned about the paint being damaged the more I left it on. Just a bit upset that I might have to repaint my car if it's etched in considering I had the vehicle for just over a year. Waiting to hear back from the condo mgmt on their position to determine next steps.

They will be repainting vehicle, not you, and you get to accept the completed job or reject it based on the quality of the paint job. Is there something special about the paint? What kind of vehicle? i recommend (just to be an itch) that people have the dealership do the repair and not sub it out to a paint shop whenever possible

It is a SUV.. but good point to go out to the dealership to make sure it is up to spec. I remember in my old car I had some bodywork done by the insurance recommended company. It cracked and spidered two years later. It was such a crummy job. I usually keep my car for a very long time 10+ years so this needs to be done right from the get go. Thanks for your help thus far.

Back