Poll: Do You Cold Call (Yes or No)

Do you cold call for business?

• Yes

Votes: 98 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 31.9%

• Total voters
Lets see now..........I got my first job telemarketing when I was 16 in 1976 setting appointments at a waterproofing company. 34 years later and over a million calls later resulting in thousands of sales I sit here now having you tell me I dont know what Im doing. You aint the first to tell me I dont know what Im doing and you wont be the last but just between you and me I piss on your grave! :1wink:

Yet after all that time you still haven't figured out what you're doing, that's awesome! After over a million calls and thousands of sales you still have to work to pay your bills, does that sound odd to you? You also still haven't learned to shut your mouth when you are clearly ignorant to the subject of a discussion.

Let's just use some math. You've made over 1,000,000 calls and made thousands of sales. Let's round up to 5,000 sales which I'm sure is excessive. That means that you're only making 5 sales out of ever 1,000 calls you're making if that was the only way you were getting business. From what you say you've been able to get referrals and I'm sure you've done other things as well, so that means your cold calling response rate is probably closer to 3 leads out of every 1,000 calls. I'm just using your numbers here, but if I was looking for a new system I certainly wouldn't want to use yours.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Frank, I believe you've said somewhere that you say basically the same thing the 1st 45-60 sec. of the call. Could you share the words you use this 1st 45-60 sec.?

I'm interested in learning that as well.

Last edited:
Theres just not an ounce of truth to that. The more money people have the easier its going to be to sell them. I suggest you believe what your saying because you are intimidated by people who have money and you feel more comfortable around lower income people. Having leads or even a list of people who have money is heaven in this business. I just cant thank people who have money enough for how nice most of them have been to me in this business.

While higher income earners might have more money to spend, they are also more likely to have an existing agent/advisor and more coverage than lower income earners. Thus making them think that they are "well covered" (i realize that most still have deficiencies, but this is their mindset lots of times). They also consider themselves more savvy than most, which can create more resistance.
Plus they are not as likely to respond to a cold call at home. Higher income earners are not as likely to be at home, and are more likely to screen calls.

Wealthy individuals are much more likely to do business from referrals or from people they have met face to face... even if its just once.

Im not saying that its impossible to CC wealthy prospects, im just saying that its not as efficient as CC lower income prospects.
And for the record, my market is higher income earners.

I might agree with you Scagnt concerning insurance, but look at how financial brokerages get started, like in the movie Boiler Room, they cold call, all the time, morning till night, thats what these jr. reps do, and they are successful. Ever look at a financial inst. job opening? Oh there will be CCing....

I might agree with you Scagnt concerning insurance, but look at how financial brokerages get started, like in the movie Boiler Room, they cold call, all the time, morning till night, thats what these jr. reps do, and they are successful. Ever look at a financial inst. job opening? Oh there will be CCing....

There will be CCing with most any sales job. Some CCing is more effective than other types. But ultimately its all about ability and persistence.

There will be CCing with most any sales job. Some CCing is more effective than other types. But ultimately its all about ability and persistence.

Cold calling is not more EFFECTIVE. It's just CHEAPER. Working a steady supply of leads is the way to go.

I meant that CCing some types of markets is more effective than CCing other types of markets.

It is definitely more effect for me than purchasing leads. However, you are right, I believe that Med Supps are the market where it works the best. I would hesitate to use it exclusively for individual health or LTCi.

Back