Recreating a career

Hanger

Expert
Indiana
Low and fast- don't work in industry, have been in account management sales support for a chemical company, and we are facing layoffs weekly given the economic climate of our primary customers. I am almost 40 and started back to college 3 years ago, almost completed my Bachelors in BA, but realized I like the sales aspect and product/people pipeline. That started my desire to look at insurance.

Started studying the prelicense test for Indiana( went through AD Banker) and sit for it next week, if all goes according to plan. Obviously am trying to have a safety net should the layoff ax come by way.

I have read a lot on the forum and finally registered to ask questions and try to become part of the community. I watched David Duford videos of part time FE to learn the business but quite frankly, I could be full time at any minute given layoffs. I visited TR King and the ILIAA website and found a lot of information there to be interesting for a new agent.

Seems to be a mixed bag of opinions here- work for a company learn the business basics for 3-12 months and then become independent. Join IMO/FMO and learn the hard way. Seems to be the only common advice is which companies to avoid as a newly licensed agent.

Can someone who knows nothing join an IMO/FMO and be successful, hopefully finding a mentor type somewhere, or do you need to work and pay the dues to grasp this bettter?

Duford would be s good choice if you nerd training and are interested in the FE, Annuity markets.

Thank you for the input @rousemark while not waiting to limit myself, it seems that FE is a good starting spot and then eventually branch into the Med Supps once it becomes a full time business for me allowing better daylight availability.

Thank you for the input @rousemark while not waiting to limit myself, it seems that FE is a good starting spot and then eventually branch into the Med Supps once it becomes a full time business for me allowing better daylight availability.

Caveat, not an insurance agent.

A former boss (in his second post army career as a business owner) told me once that if I was going to change careers, I needed to allow 5 years to get up to speed in the new field. That is consistent with what I have seen some agents post here in regard to selling Medicare Supplements.

Caveat, not an insurance agent.

A former boss (in his second post army career as a business owner) told me once that if I was going to change careers, I needed to allow 5 years to get up to speed in the new field. That is consistent with what I have seen some agents post here in regard to selling Medicare Supplements.

For everything insurance and Med Supp related that seems to make a lot of sense. Seems that the market would be shared with FE and some Medicare Supplemental so would be a logical combination.

Congratulations on going back to college and your pending graduation. That's really great! In my experience, people get into the insurance business for innumerable reasons, many of which are interesting, unique, and strange! LOL. My friend who does about $2mm in life premium came into this business -- as a "temporary job" -- when he fell off a scaffold, and he needed to make a few bucks while he was recuperating. LOL. He had every intention of getting back on the scaffold. LOL.

I came into this business 35 years ago and joined a fee-based business and estate planning firm. I signed a non-captive contract. I had done an internship in college, and knew what I wanted to do, and what marketplace I wanted to be in. I met with numerous insurance professionals, all in different marketplaces, all successful, who my father knew (my father was not in the insurance business). Even after meeting them, talking with them, visiting with them at their offices and spending time with them -- I didn't change my mind and still went into the business and marketplace that I originally wanted.

I think many of the people hear will be able to speak to your questions far more effectively than I could. What I will offer is the same advice I give to all new agents -- work hard. Learn your craft and your business. Client first. Do what is best for the client. It will pay off. Build your business model and your business. Either you will be a business owner and build and run a business...or you will be running around in the business. Big difference.

All the best!

I think many of the people hear will be able to speak to your questions far more effectively than I could. What I will offer is the same advice I give to all new agents -- work hard. Learn your craft and your business. Client first. Do what is best for the client. It will pay off. Build your business model and your business. Either you will be a business owner and build and run a business...or you will be running around in the business. Big difference.

All the best!

Thank you, it’s definitely been a long journey, just figures it takes til now be where I am in school and figure out something I think I can enjoy doing.
The common theme I read is about making it
Client first- which makes sense. Sure it’s sales and commission but a little empathy can go a long way on sensitive subjects I imagine

Thank you, it’s definitely been a long journey, just figures it takes til now be where I am in school and figure out something I think I can enjoy doing.
The common theme I read is about making it
Client first- which makes sense. Sure it’s sales and commission but a little empathy can go a long way on sensitive subjects I imagine
I'd consider the MA/ Med Supp side of things starting out. They will get you selling and making some money, which will build your confidence.
As time goes on, you'll find that your market will find you, rather than vice versa. But in the meantime, you need to make some money!:idea:

I see your response PA Bill but when I log in, it says you are ignored, not sure how that happened but- I find it interesting that you say to start in the MA/ Med Supp side. Seems most "guides" save these items for later, or perhaps it is just the guides I have found.

A confidence boost to start something like this would be well received though. What would be the preferred method here, finding an independent that would allow me to work odd hours, or still try and go the FMO/IMO route?

I see your response PA Bill but when I log in, it says you are ignored, not sure how that happened but- I find it interesting that you say to start in the MA/ Med Supp side. Seems most "guides" save these items for later, or perhaps it is just the guides I have found.

A confidence boost to start something like this would be well received though. What would be the preferred method here, finding an independent that would allow me to work odd hours, or still try and go the FMO/IMO route?
The guys on here are both independent and FMO/I(ndependent) MO's. This is just my opinion, but a Todd King seems like a guy who is more broad based and could get you geared up to enter the senior market through the Medicare side of things.
You could then branch out with Todd or go learn to be a stone cold FE closer with someone like Newby.
Me thinks your consultative skill set would serve you well in Medicare. That's how Somarco does it. He teaches and consults, not "close". FE is one call closing. Maybe that's you, as well. Good luck!

Back