Referral Fee

wealthpro

If I am correct, as a licensed life insurance agent, I could send a client to another agent and legally get a referral fee. What if that client is in a state that I am not licensed in but the agent I am referring them to is, does that matter?

If I am correct, as a licensed life insurance agent, I could send a client to another agent and legally get a referral fee. What if that client is in a state that I am not licensed in but the agent I am referring them to is, does that matter?
My understanding is that you should also be licensed in that state.

I won't pay referrals to someone w/o a w-9 and their license in the writing state.

My understanding is that you should also be licensed in that state.

I won't pay referrals to someone w/o a w-9 and their license in the writing state.

To earn a split or an over-ride, all parties have to be licensed in most States to be paid on . . .

To earn a split or an over-ride, all parties have to be licensed in most States to be paid on . . .
Overrides are different and vary by both carrier and state.

That's all outlined by the carrier PLMA rules.

Referral splits are more gray but making sure all parties are state licensed should keep you out of hot water with regulators, but maybe not the carrier.

Some carriers have written rules in your selling agreement that all compensation splits or anyone being paid by the producer needs to be disclosed on the application. Many then may require the other person to also be licensed & appointed.

If you are not licensed in the state, you are considered unlicensed & therefor cannot receive compensation based on a sale & would have to be paid for any & all referrals, even if they dont result in a sale. Only a licensed producer can receive commission from another agent for sales/cases

Some carriers have written rules in your selling agreement that all compensation splits or anyone being paid by the producer needs to be disclosed on the application. Many then may require the other person to also be licensed & appointed.

If you are not licensed in the state, you are considered unlicensed & therefor cannot receive compensation based on a sale & would have to be paid for any & all referrals, even if they dont result in a sale. Only a licensed producer can receive commission from another agent for sales/cases
Yep. It's similar to a broker/dealer rep selling away from an indexed annuity "approved list".

Normally 100% legal for that rep to write with the carrier. The b/d may have a differing opinion.

Last edited:
Back