Retirement and pension scripts

capnjim01

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Does anyone have advice on a cold calling script for business pension and retirement plans that you would share?

I'm calling central NC, I've got some general ideas but I trying to find a "Hook" to get in the door with. I"m trying to think like a prospect and trying top find a reason that i would want to review my 401K or benefit plan.

I'm calling central NC, I've got some general ideas but I trying to find a "Hook" to get in the door with. I"m trying to think like a prospect and trying top find a reason that i would want to review my 401K or benefit plan.

"Hooks" only works on a one on one situation and is not generic to the masses. For example, if you call someone and they answer the phone with "Go Panthers" then you'd say something like..."hey, what do you think about ...... they drafted for left tackle?" You then talk about that for the next few minutes until he realizes he doesn't know why you called yet. But you better know what you're talking about with regard to what he is interested in.

If you have an appointment with 'da boss' then do some homework. Come early and try to find out which car is his and see if you see any bumper stickers displayed. That will become your 'hook' for this particular prospect. If it's a lady and has a sticker that says, "I love Owls"...then when you sit down with her say, "Hey, who's the owl lover? My wife has been collecting them for 20 years. I'm always looking for new ones to bring home to her."

A generic "hook" would be..."I like to breath air....don't you also?" (which may be a good one if you're selling room purifiers.)

And lastly, don't confuse "hooks" with "hookers", it's a totally different thang.

I have tried that one already, The problem with bringing up dol audits Ray is that most plan sponsors have no idea the scope of their responsibilities as a fiduciary.

I've seen a similar issue. Another angle is the outrageous fees that a lot of the smaller plans pay but you hit the same roadblocks.

The advisors that I see who find success in this area primarily focus only on retirement plans/benefits and market/network as such.

Not easy.....

----------

Of course, if the business is small enough, you could always go after higher deferral limits (like cash balance vs. Traditional 401k/SEPs). That works for the right business (doctors, attorneys, other closely held businesses) no matter how you market your practice.

Back