Retiring from AF

AFRET14

Long story short, I am retiring from the Air Force in March 2014. I possess a Bachelors in Business and about 8 years of management experience. I spent 6 of my 24 years of active duty as a recruiter and thoroughly enjoyed sales. For the past 2 years I've been a human resources director of sorts (First Sergeant) for a recruiting unit which has rekindled my enthusiasm for sales. My question is this, what steps do I need to take between now and retirement date next year to set myself up as an agent? My wife and I would like to relocate to either Las Vegas NV or Phoenix AZ (we currently live in South Carolina). How is the best way to get training? Should I become involved with one of the larger companies (State Farm, Allstate) which from what I have been reading on here is akin to signing away your life and tossing $100K into the debt pool. Being an independent agent sounds exactly what I would like to do but without the training I am a bit skeptical. I was a successful recruiter and have been trained in both Professional Sales Skills and AIDA but I feel while insurance sales and recruiting share similarities (selling intangibles) they are also vastly different. Any insight to help me navigate these confusing waters would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you may wish to get training first from a large captive company, but find one where you do not have to invest a bunch. Find one where you get trained in their office and where they don't want you to go get your own office. Maybe somebody like Liberty Mutual or something. I am fairly certain the goal at Farmers is for you to have your own office and invest a bunch, possibly also the case at State Farm, but lately I noticed Allstate is recruiting to have agents buy existing books, or agencies, which is of course a big investment.

Going indy from the beginning is tough without training. You may wish to become a producer under an indy agent, there's that route as well, let him or her train you.

Short story get licensed in Life/Health then series 65. You can do that now in SC.

Sounds le he is looking at P&C. In your situation I would get my P&C license and find a producer position at either a captive or INDY agency. Once you know the ropes either go INDY and start your wn agency r look for one to buy. The perfect situation would be to find an INDY that you could eventually buy not or buy out.

Back