Right time? Any advice is appreciated.

Greetings-

I am currently in the process of exploring leaving my current business to pursue a new path in the insurance industry. I have owned my own business for 12 years and emerged from the pandemic doing okay, but misaligned with the direction of my profession as a whole is heading. I either acquiesce and compromise my values or start over, doing something else.

I find the insurance industry intriguing not necessarily interesting. I have been in talks with a major carrier to start a new agency and feel that it makes sense to start with a major carrier (versus independent) since I would be starting from scratch. While there are transferable skills I'd carry over from my previous business (consulting), I would be starting over in a completely new industry.

I am not currently licensed and have not started the education process because there is a timeline on completion and I have existing client work that I need to complete.

I have spoken to several agents both established and new with the major carrier, but I am still unsure this is the right direction.

So, I open this topic to anyone that feels compelled to weigh in.

Is this the right time to get into the insurance business? The economy is showing strong signs of an impending recession and perhaps tough times ahead.

What questions should I be asking? I have asked a lot of questions since late 2021 when I started this process.

What advice would you give someone new to the insurance industry? I am not new to owning my own business and have a general understanding of client acquisition, marketing, leading, etc.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have.

what lines of business? Personally I would stay away from P&C as a captive agent for now. the industry is going in te direction of competing with the agents through 800 numbers and www. (insert carrier).com. One carrier in particular is raiding quotes generated by their agents and binding coverage under the corporate BOB and the agent is getting screwed. This same carrier is offering better rates online than the agent can offer.

what lines of business? Personally I would stay away from P&C as a captive agent for now. the industry is going in te direction of competing with the agents through 800 numbers and www. (insert carrier).com. One carrier in particular is raiding quotes generated by their agents and binding coverage under the corporate BOB and the agent is getting screwed. This same carrier is offering better rates online than the agent can offer.

I have been asked to start in the P&C and then Life.

I have been reading through these issues you mentioned from another website.

One of my biggest concerns has been the commitment to a retail storefront when everything is going online. I understand having a personal agent can be a nice feeling, but if I can save money, why wouldn't I or why wouldn't a family?

Back