Scotus: Subsidies upheld

The fact that Emblem reversed course, and other carriers acknowledge the significant influence agents have on enrollment, has to be somewhat comforting? New York agents aren't being viewed as irrelevant nobodies.

Reversed course? You mean delayed it for a year while providing reduced comp in the mean time?

Carrier superiors have straight up told brokers at NAHU events that they don't want us, or need us.

Not to mention, all the GA/MGA/administrative partner opportunity has been all but eliminated.

Reversed course? You mean delayed it for a year while providing reduced comp in the mean time?

Carrier superiors have straight up told brokers at NAHU events that they don't want us, or need us.

Not to mention, all the GA/MGA/administrative partner opportunity has been all but eliminated.

That's pretty short-sighted of them, considering all the positives associated with broker-assisted enrollments.

Well, just want to make a quick comment from one of the earliest posts on this threads about how the ACA will hurt our children....

Is it the only thing America has done in the past couple decades that will hurt our children? A couple of unfunded wars, spending more on military than the next 10 countries combined? The sending overseas of jobs that Americans used to do? The attack on unions where the goal is to create just two classes of people in America? The elimination of defined benefit pensions?

Are you guys certain the ACA will be the only downfall for our children? Seems to me the list is pretty long.

When this was talked about a while back, a smart agent would have begun to look for other venues to protect their incomes. We are not locked into single product offerings with most licensing situations.

This industry has been nothing but change since I began in it 26+ years ago. The reason I am still here 26+ years later is I adapted to change over that time.

Some here claim that is being a "sheep", I prefer to think of it as not stupid. Past experience as taught me to diversify a bit to ensure when one market slows, I have several others to participate in. If health insurance is your only source of income, I suggest if you haven't done so, branch out.

Cheers

Well, just want to make a quick comment from one of the earliest posts on this threads about how the ACA will hurt our children....

Is it the only thing America has done in the past couple decades that will hurt our children? A couple of unfunded wars, spending more on military than the next 10 countries combined? The sending overseas of jobs that Americans used to do? The attack on unions where the goal is to create just two classes of people in America? The elimination of defined benefit pensions?

Are you guys certain the ACA will be the only downfall for our children? Seems to me the list is pretty long.

When this was talked about a while back, a smart agent would have begun to look for other venues to protect their incomes. We are not locked into single product offerings with most licensing situations.

This industry has been nothing but change since I began in it 26+ years ago. The reason I am still here 26+ years later is I adapted to change over that time.

Some here claim that is being a "sheep", I prefer to think of it as not stupid. Past experience as taught me to diversify a bit to ensure when one market slows, I have several others to participate in. If health insurance is your only source of income, I suggest if you haven't done so, branch out.

Cheers

Feeding the terrorist system by killing thousands of people in the Middle East is far more danger-causing than correcting our fouled up healthcare system. Not to mention, much less costly.

I'd be interested to see the psychological effect of the Iraq wars on the children in the Middle East. I have heard of one study on Palestinian children that indicates 40% of all Palestinian children under the age of 10 suffer from PTSD. Here is a quote from a related report...

For his latest study, Vosatnis surveyed 358 adolescents in Gaza after the war in 2008. He found that 91 percent of them had seen mutilated bodies, 89 percent had been exposed to shelling by artillery and 60 percent had experienced the death of a relative and/or a close friend, among other wartime atrocities. The teens suffered from classic signs of PTSD, including nightmares, anxiety, phobias and self-destructive behavior. Vostanis’ findings echo similar reports, such as one conducted after the 2012 war by the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, which found that the rate of PTSD among children in Gaza doubled after that year’s conflict.

... obviously that is a different conflict altogether, but I see no study measuring the psychological damage we have inflicted on the children of the region.

I would much rather be categorized as a sheep than a wolf. My hero is often referred to as a lamb.

considering all the positives associated with broker-assisted enrollments.

I doubt the carriers see it that way under the new system

Brokers are an extra layer of cost, over and above the fees they pay to goodluck.gov for processing the apps.

Brokers can help applicants find the best plan that fits their needs. This translates into higher claims vs people that DIY or go through 404.gov.

Brokers are an extra layer of cost, over and above the fees they pay to goodluck.gov for processing the apps.

Brokers can help applicants find the best plan that fits their needs. This translates into higher claims vs people that DIY or go through 404.gov.

Valid point for sure.

We shall see what year three brings, however, in our region agents were courted much more aggressively in year two vs. year one. Not certain what the perceived benefit was, perhaps it was a push to "get while the getting was good". I know that has certainly been my approach from year one. The third year, at this point, is my last year scheduled for heightened promotion. Of course we will have to see what opportunities present themselves in future years.

I never thought of that Somarco. You're right..agents who match applicants to the plan that they can best utilize aren't doing the chosen carrier any favors. Carriers would prefer that the applicant chose the lower-priced narrow network plan that doesn't include their doctor(s), local hospital, medications, etc.. Good point, as usual.
-ac

I never thought of that Somarco. You're right..agents who match applicants to the plan that they can best utilize aren't doing the chosen carrier any favors. Carriers would prefer that the applicant chose the lower-priced narrow network plan that doesn't include their doctor(s), local hospital, medications, etc.. Good point, as usual.
-ac

People that are already sick self-enroll. Agents "mostly" sell to people before they get sick.

People that are already sick self-enroll. Agents "mostly" sell to people before they get sick.

Oh..no doubt, HouCoogster! I think Somarco's observation is accurate though, if one assumes that health insurers place profit above customer satisfaction.

Back