Scotus: Subsidies upheld

If the policyholder does not keep the policy who profits?

Houcoogster,

I asked RayNY why Agents weren't viewed as being a valuable asset by health insurers.

Somarco responded by saying that if an applicant is matched up with the best health plan for his needs or illness, he will utilize that plan to a greater degree. Agents specialize in (among other things) matching up the consumer to the best plan. Somarco said that this is one of the reasons why health insurers do not like agents. He wasn't addressing the customer retention angle, HouCoogster.

Houcoogster,

I asked RayNY why Agents weren't viewed as being a valuable asset by health insurers.

Somarco responded by saying that if an applicant is matched up with the best health plan for his needs or illness, he will utilize that plan to a greater degree. Agents specialize in (among other things) matching up the consumer to the best plan. Somarco said that this is one of the reasons why health insurers do not like agents. He wasn't addressing the customer retention angle, HouCoogster.

I understand. I'm just showing the other side of the coin. Bottom line is insurance companies use agents because we make them money.

I understand. I'm just showing the other side of the coin. Bottom line is insurance companies use agents because we make them money.

You left out the second part of your bottom line. If we don't make them money, they're not going to use us.

We have been making them money, we have been very valuable, indispensable even.

Then again, phone operators, milk men, TV repairmen, etc. were indispensable at one point as well.

IMO, this isn't guaranteed. It's not just a fact that we make them more money than we cost, quite the opposite, the only pay what they can afford, and will pay nothing the instant that puts more money on their bottom line.

I think at this stage of the game in the industry anybody who truly thinks any insurance company "likes" agents is a fool. We are a necessary tool for most of them and they do us no favors. If they could figure out a way to do it without us and be successful, they would.

I started with NYL, was told they were the best agent oriented company in the business, best contract, best retirement, etc...

That honeymoon lasted about 5 years, then agents went from being a company blessing to an expense line item. and all those "things" went away.
Along with 2/3rds of their agents under that NYLIC contract.

We can talk about a lot of things, but honestly guys, no insurance company does us any favors. They do what helps them first, second and any number there after.

cheers.

It's not just a fact that we make them more money than we cost, quite the opposite, the only pay what they can afford, and will pay nothing the instant that puts more money on their bottom line.

That is a 5 star response.

Our world (as health insurance agents) changed when the govt went into business as competitors. Some people have a hard time accepting that.

I don't like it but I can accept it.

You left out the second part of your bottom line. If we don't make them money, they're not going to use us.

We have been making them money, we have been very valuable, indispensable even.

Then again, phone operators, milk men, TV repairmen, etc. were indispensable at one point as well.

IMO, this isn't guaranteed. It's not just a fact that we make them more money than we cost, quite the opposite, the only pay what they can afford, and will pay nothing the instant that puts more money on their bottom line.

Who said anything about a freakin guarantee? There are none in life. Suck it up or go get a job as a navigator.

We have in the US economy what is called in the Econ world "Creative Destruction" buggy whip manufacturers are out of business. As they should be.
I know what I do and I'm no where near a buggy whip manufacturer.

We have in the US economy what is called in the Econ world "Creative Destruction" buggy whip manufacturers are out of business. As they should be.
I know what I do and I'm no where near a buggy whip manufacturer.

How'd this thread transition from the Scotus ACA decision, to whipping buggies?
:goofy:

Back