Seeking Advice as a Career Changer

CoachRC

Hello all,

Going to try to make this less than a short novel, but I would like to see if I could get some advice from the career insurance guys around here. As an analytical, I have been stalking the site for quite a while, but haven't quite found all of the answers I am looking for. So even though many have done it before - I figured that I would start my own post, but make it a little different than the rest.

Backstory:
I'm 40 years old, and due to the current environment, find myself potentially changing careers completely. During my professional career, I have been in sales and sales management in a completely different industry for roughly 21 years. My hobby, which became a full blown side-business, is coaching (hence the screen handle) and developing fastpitch softball and baseball players at my indoor facility (which I own) and on the teams that I coach. Instead of it being an 9-5, I lovingly refer to this as my 5-9 career as it doesn't pay the big-boy bills.

I have been interested in the insurance industry for quite some time and for three reasons:
1) It feeds my entrepreneurial spirit,
2) it fits in with my passion for helping people, and
3) there is the potential for good money to be made.

I secured my Life and Health license roughly 2 years ago, and was recruited to FFL, but since I have had a full-time career & the 5-9 the entire time, I have written no business and really have received no guidance (except for to buy leads and recruit.) They also have a model of running more appointments during the evening and weekend, which I cannot do due to my other passion/hobby/5-9.

I am willing and want to start going at this 100%, but am looking for guidance on where you guys would start. I am leaning the route of starting with an IMO/FMO/Agency due to the fact that I am so green in the industry and could use a good COACH while I get started. I would like to accomplish this, though, without having to sacrifice a ton of money in lost commissions due to low contracts. I have a list of wants and needs that I deem essential, and it could be a pipe dream to fit them all, but wanted to bullet them out for you and get your thoughts/advice/direction.

The list of facts/wants/needs is as follows:
  1. This will be my full-time career going forward.
  2. I hold a L&H license in GA.
  3. I am looking into pathing into Life, FEX, and MP.
  4. An evening/weekend appointment structure does NOT work for my situation.
  5. I am looking for a good coach to guide me through and help me implement a successful plan and provide ongoing support.
  6. I am would like to eventually build a team and my own agency, but I want it to happen more organically and I don't want bring just any warm body that I can get on Ziprecruiter. I also want to master the business a bit before I start bringing people on (not recruiting on day 2.)
  7. Digital/Telesales ability is a big plus, and am willing license in other states to make this happen. A combo of digital & F2F would be ideal.
  8. I would like a lead system that would allow my F2F appointments to be set mostly within an hour of my working location. (Could be North GA, Central AL, and Central & North MS.
  9. I am prepared to purchase leads and reinvest commissions into scaling.
  10. I need to ramp fairly quickly to $2k net earnings.
Having said all that - what suggestions do the gurus of the group have for me?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and provide your feedback. I look forward to frequenting and getting to know you guys more in the near future!

Hello. I'm also with FFL in Georgia. I'm transitioning from over 30 years in food and beverage. I was licensed in February and so far have 3 FE policies and an IUL under my belt. I'm also pursuing my real estate license and working as a caretaker. I don't do any business on weekends unless absolutely necessary. I have help from a friend who works as a concierge and they make my calls on Mondays. I look to schedule Tuesday through Thursday 10:00am-5:00pm in 90 minute intervals. Friday 10:00am until 1:00pm in 90 minute intervals. I use 90 minutes to allow for an initial assessment to see how much they can afford monthly if they have no idea. I can find an option from each carrier that I write for and offer those options. The remaining time is for collecting data and submitting the application. I have spent around $300 on leads since February.

During the day, I post ads to Facebook and Instagram. I also place free classified ads on each site that has an insurance services section. Finally, I have a mail in list of 300+ addresses that I'm using for sales letters and postcards. I would be more than happy for us to learn together since we're with the same company. I'm willing to share any knowledge I have that may help you.

Back