Self Promotion

It's obvious to me that people are self-promoting with e-books all over the internet. It must at least be working for some. It's all about exposure. People use social media for the same thing. It might draw people to you who could become customers. Then again, it might not do "jack squat" :1cool: Why not give it a shot if you have the time?

The only use for a self-published book is to illustrate the "expert status" of an individual person in a given professional field.
Today's consumer wants an expert to deal with.

I thought about doing the same, hooking up my dragonspeak software and just talk a book outa me...

The potential problem with self-published books is that clients and prospects are on to them, and know that anyone today can "spend a thousand to look like a million". If you don't overplay your hand on your expertise and accomplishments, a self-published book can be a helpful marketing tool - just don't try to make it sound like you invented whole life or whatever your lead product is.

I think a lot of agents are straying away from their core business... which is selling insurance. Does writing an e book put you in front of more potential clients who have a need for your product and the ability to pay for it? IMO there are better uses of your time and money.

I think a lot of agents are straying away from their core business... which is selling insurance. Does writing an e book put you in front of more potential clients who have a need for your product and the ability to pay for it? IMO there are better uses of your time and money.

Maybe 20 years ago that worked. This business is more about marketing than ever. Especially if your in the personal financial insurance market. I used to think like this, then I gave a little self promotion a try and holy cats it does work. You have to differentiate. People have way too many options, now.

As for the books. It depends on your angle. Some people use it purely to promote them and sell a branded process. So let's say I change a few key words in LEAP and mix up a couple of steps and brand my own version, I then put together a book to promote my process. People do it every day.

The other approach is to highlight an idea. Let's stick with the term insurance idea. So you do exactly as detailed. You write a book at basically details your insider knowledge concerning term life insurance, but also note that there is a some hand holding that is still necessary (you can't buy life insurance with out an agent after all). Term is pretty basic and might be kind of tricky in terms of getting people to come to you, but that's purely my impression of the situation. It could be a huge hit.

What would you suggest? We all know telemarketing is a rookie technique ;)

What would you suggest? We all know telemarketing is a rookie technique ;)

I telemarket but what do I know... we have only averaged $1.8M a year in new business (small commercial P&C with a 92% retention)for 3 strait years by picking up the phone and calling 150 people a day. Maybe I should scrap that, start a blog and an ebook and just watch the business roll in. Maybe there is some brilliant marketing guy or lead vendor out there who can show me the way:).

Why would they listen to YOU, when they can listen to the people on TV and radio for free?

Why would they buy from YOU and not Dave Ramsey or the other "popular" known people.......

Technologically advanced avoidance behavior.

Although I think it would tie in better with a more complete marketing system (think Jillian Michaels expert status interwoven into her various services and products).

I telemarket but what do I know... we have only averaged $1.8M a year in new business (small commercial P&C with a 92% retention)for 3 strait years by picking up the phone and calling 150 people a day. Maybe I should scrap that, start a blog and an ebook and just watch the business roll in. Maybe there is some brilliant marketing guy or lead vendor out there who can show me the way:).

It really cracks me up when people say telemarketing doesn't work. It's just like everything else, it works for some people and some products and it doesn't for others.

I really think a lot of b2b agents are missing the boat by not using it. It takes some time to dial in the pitch right, but you can't reasonably expect it to work like a charm from day one?

Back