Series 65? Should I Get It?

First, if anything you do moves money from a "securities" account, and you don't have a 6, 7, or 65, then you could potentially get in trouble. Insurance companies and FINRA are on the look out for this now.

Second, a 6 allows you to sell mutual funds and VA's (paid by commission). A 65 lets you sell fee-based securities accounts (paid by a % charge against assets in the account, or a set fee schedule for services).

Most 529 plans would be very awkward in a fee based account because they start out small and have monthly contributions. Even if the family put in a lump sum, the amounts will still be smaller. Fee accounts really don't make a lot of sense until the account is 75k to 100k in size. For smaller accounts, the standard mutual fund 529 route would be better.

With the 6/63 you have a BD and E&O insurance. The difficulty will be finding a BD when you have no assets and no plan to acquire assets quickly enough to satisfy the BD (they have expenses just to have you on their books). I've heard there are some that will take small brokers, but their payout is usually below 50%. So you'll pay 1k-3.5k each year for the BD toolkit and E&O insurance.

With the 65 you have to set up your own RIA (or got through a BD and use their RIA with the costs outlined above). The overhead of the RIA and the cost of setting it up will run about 3k-5k each year. Plus, you'll need to get your 24 license so you can "oversee" you own transactions, and you'll have to be your own compliance officer (time and grunt work overhead).

Save yourself the hassle, and don't do it.

Getting a 65 is dirt cheap. I think it cost $125 a year to maintain it. You can get set up at TD Ameritrade or someone else like them for free. The test is quite easy if you study.

A couple of other threads to review on the subject:

Regulated to Death... Life of an RR

Watch Calling Yourself a Financial Planner

Now, if you want the Series 65 so you can call yourself a [insert favorite title here], you can spare yourself the headaches and trauma and just go for your ChFC or RFC designation. BTW, if you have your ChFC, then you are exempt from taking the series 65 for your own RIA. (The CFP has headaches of its own.)

No, you still wouldn't be licensed to give advice in matters regarding securities, but you will have been well "schooled" in financial planning matters.

If you are wanting to hold yourself out as a 'financial planner' with the intention of selling only insurance-based products, then you really need to read that 2nd link.

bark3005 is NOT including the costs of E&O, email archiving, advertising reviews, SEC/State Audit reviews, etc. bark3005 may only be considering being registered as an IAR (being an advisor for someone else's RIA) instead of forming your own RIA.

If it were me, I would focus on building a life-insurance & annuity clientele first. Then later, filing for the RIA status and build a 9-figure AUM book of business within a year of filing - as Russ Alan Prince talks about in this book:
Amazon.com: Winning the War for the Wealthy: How Life Insurance Companies Can Dominate the Upscale Market (9780965839129): Russ Alan Prince: Books

Until you've built such a clientele, I wouldn't spend the money and volunteer for such regulatory scrutiny.

Here's the reality - take it or leave it. 6 and 63 are for poor folks. You won't pay your bills selling monthly IRA PACs and 529s. 65 is much better but then that's exclusively for gathering assets - which is what you should be doing if you're serious about securities. Successful 65's don't sell insurance. Successful insurance agents don't sell securities. Focus and specialize. JMO

To be fair to registered reps ... people who like securities are professionals - executives, doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. They don't buy loaded mutual funds. They hate annuities. You want to gather their assets and build your portfolio.

Besides them the only other customers you have left are monthly PACs and 529s and rollovers. The only way you can profit as a reg rep is by selling rollovers and there are many who are very good at that. So if you want to focus on rollovers 6 and 63 may be a good idea.

Last edited:
Great thread, but a couple of pieces of misinformation that I don't want to call anyone out on publicly. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the most logical option would be for you to get the Series 65 and start your own RIA. I've worked with many brokerage representatives as well as well as insurance agents on their business goals and the advantages/disadvantages of going under the umbrella of a broker/dealer or larger RIA vs starting your own. I am a former FINRA regulator and I am well-versed on the FINRA as well as SEC regulatory requirements. The primary advantage of going under a larger RIA is you do not have to worry about maintaining your own compliance program, but the disadvantage is you are splitting your revenues. For having your own RIA you have to maintain your own compliance program (which is not costly at all in my opinion) and you get to keep 100% of the revenues. Granted, you will be under the jurisdiction of the SEC or State, but from my experience of the people I've worked with, being able to call yourself a financial advisor or an investment advisor is a great compliment to selling certain types of insurance products.

I assist professionals in getting registered and starting their own RIA, so if you would like any information on the process, please visit polariscompliance dot com.

Good luck!

Regards,
Tiffany Chamberlain
Managing Director, Polaris Compliance Consulting, LLC
(888) 240-4299
Booo watch out for the stones thrown at a former FINRA Regulator.

I appreciate everyone's focus on the utility of these various licenses. I'm sure people want to make sure that they are getting the best bang for their buck----and time. For myself, I'm somewhat addicted to scholarship so I would always be looking for whatever the next step is. After a while, though, I think I would begin to question the purpose of having scads of licenses.

As things stand for me right now, I have my Basic Four (Life, Health, Auto & Home) and am positioning myself for the Series 6/and 63 exams towards the end of this month. I get if-fy when it comes to Series 65 and 7 as well as 24 and 25 as I am not as interested in individual stock investment as I am in being able to recommend Annuities and Mutual Funds.

The reason I am sharing this information is that, absent these challenges, I have found that it is very hard to find resources such as classes and seminars that will keep me up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry as well as allow me to delve deeper into the history and development of the industry and its instruments. For me its not so much a matter of "Series X: to get or not to get" as much as appreciating that if I did not have these brass rings to chase after where else would I get sound instruction about my chosen industry, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bruce, a jack of all trades is a master of none. You think you are going to be everything to everyone. Instead, you are likely to be nothing to no one.

Back