Shifting the Burden to the Client

The best way to handle this situation is:

1. Create marketplace account.
2. Then find and download the existing 2015 app into the newly created account.
3. Do Life change as explained by TXonline.

That is why I responded with that. What good is creating marketplace accounts for off-ex members?

why would anyone create an account on the Marketplace for an Off Exchange client?

----------

The best way to handle this situation is:

1. Create marketplace account.
2. Then find and download the existing 2015 app into the newly created account.
3. Do Life change as explained by TXonline.

Thanks, I tried doing that but couldn't download the application, I will be more persistent the next time and get it right.

----------

I do not. What I do is tell them whats going to happen next if they don't do what I say and that they can't yell at me when there are problems, nor will I help.

Once I explain the next steps, I get 99% compliance on doing things "correctly". The other 1% email me, apologize and ask for guidance. I send them an email with the steps.

Thanks, that is the same approach I am taking now, I am tired of being Mr. Fixit on a ship that is almost underwater.

Some carriers don't allow enrollments outside of OEP. Also some have hairy rules for proving the SEP.

Off Exchange is off the exchange, On Exchange is through the Marketplace and can either be subsidized or not subsidized, don't make up things that don't exist.

1. Almost every time, I always get an "error" or "can't find app" message on HC.gov, BUT, it actually is downloaded if you go back into the account by hitting clients name at top right, and getting to the screen where 2015 links are usually displayed. Sometimes, it takes a couple times. If not, then HC.gov rep can download app for you into the account, and you do the Life Change online with client.

2. Every carrier has different allowed SEP reasons. For example, a "renewal" of an existing GF or NON GF plan is considered an SEP, but some carriers don't recognize it as a valid SEP. Or, there are new SEP's that are newly CMS issued (like going above 100% FPL mid year in NON medicaid expansion states), where carriers have not caught up yet (and HC.gov too). These types of SEP's are easier to put through HC.gov with no subsidy, as there is no proof of SEP required. It takes the approval ok out of the hands of the carrier.

1. Almost every time, I always get an "error" or "can't find app" message on HC.gov, BUT, it actually is downloaded if you go back into the account by hitting clients name at top right, and getting to the screen where 2015 links are usually displayed. Sometimes, it takes a couple times. If not, then HC.gov rep can download app for you into the account, and you do the Life Change online with client.

2. Every carrier has different allowed SEP reasons. For example, a "renewal" of an existing GF or NON GF plan is considered an SEP, but some carriers don't recognize it as a valid SEP. Or, there are new SEP's that are newly CMS issued (like going above 100% FPL mid year in NON medicaid expansion states), where carriers have not caught up yet (and HC.gov too). These types of SEP's are easier to put through HC.gov with no subsidy, as there is no proof of SEP required. It takes the approval ok out of the hands of the carrier.

Thanks for the tip, I will get it to work the next time.

As for SEPs, not every company has each of their plans On Exchange in Florida and some (UHC for example) have different plans on and off Exchange. I can't do a Humana SEP application, for example, in Sarasota County.

This thread was about not taking responsibility for client issues with On Exchange plans that are out of our control, why did it get so sidetracked?

To add to the info about creating an account and adding in the app, it seems to be working better now than a few months ago, at least for me.
This week I have attached 2 apps to newly created accounts successfully, for the first time. Not that I tried too many times, before, 2 or 3 and "not found" a couple months ago when attempted.
I am liking the way that it works now, and more convenient than a call to Marketplace if there's no client access acct. I can also check to be sure I am listed as agent of record by clicking the "is someone helping you" in tiny print right after plan choice made. No need to go all back through the app to add, if not in there already.

Last edited:
Off Exchange is off the exchange, On Exchange is through the Marketplace and can either be subsidized or not subsidized, don't make up things that don't exist.

Not so fast there hotrod. Sometimes they were off exchange and when a life change occurs they would be better off, On exchange. Lets keep an open mind.

Back