Social Security Expert Designation

Hello. I am a very successful Medicare Advantage Sales Agent and I am considering "leveling up" by acquiring a Social Security Expert Designation to attract a different kind of client and begin marketing Annuities. I want to hold Seminars and set appointments to run demonstrations on collecting Social Security.

Has anyone else taken this approach? Any advice?

Hello. I am a very successful Medicare Advantage Sales Agent and I am considering "leveling up" by acquiring a Social Security Expert Designation to attract a different kind of client and begin marketing Annuities. I want to hold Seminars and set appointments to run demonstrations on collecting Social Security.

Has anyone else taken this approach? Any advice?

Social Security designation?

No.

I'm not understanding the point. They can just log into ssa.gov/myaccount and see exactly how much they'd get.

People try to make this too complicated with all these stupid certs that won't earn you a single dollar more in commission.

You then fall into this trap where you're trying to explain a very complicated program in a simply way and you know too much and confuse them.

Want to get into annuities? Just send a letter to your current clients that asks them if they want to make more interest than keeping it in the bank and have less volatility than putting it in the market.

No.

I'm not understanding the point. They can just log into ssa.gov/myaccount and see exactly how much they'd get.

People try to make this too complicated with all these stupid certs that won't earn you a single dollar more in commission.

You then fall into this trap where you're trying to explain a very complicated program in a simply way and you know too much and confuse them.

Want to get into annuities? Just send a letter to your current clients that asks them if they want to make more interest than keeping it in the bank and have less volatility than putting it in the market.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am doing really well with just focusing on Medicare Insurance, but it feels like a lot of money is still out there for me to get by helping people and I have extra time. Makes sense what you said though, thanks so much for your perspective.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am doing really well with just focusing on Medicare Insurance, but it feels like a lot of money is still out there for me to get by helping people and I have extra time. Makes sense what you said though, thanks so much for your perspective.

So you are already sitting right in front of somebody on a medicare advantage sale and you want to pivot over to begin a fact finding to see if they are an annuity prospect ?

Last edited:
Social Security Expert. There’s lots of different programs available and they include software to run illustrations. Here’s one I’m looking at, but there are a few: Social Security Advisors & Experts, Medicare Consultants, Social Security Education Courses

Ouch $1,500 dollars. Might be useful information but expensive. Sure I have spent that amount before on a designation, then the company went under. With these courses they should focus on how it will help you sell annuities with the information.

Well, I happen to be a Certified National Social Security Advisor. The National Social Security Advisor certificate program happens to be the only accredited Social Security program in the U.S. This organizations consists of accountants, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, tax attorneys, financial advisors, life insurance agents - and that's all I know about. I got in during the program's infancy, before all the other programs came out. I suspect that most of the programs came out because the NSSA spoke to clients about a very specific strategy that essentially was a loophole in the how one could delay receiving his/her own Social Security and essentially collecting on his/her spouse's (it is called a Restricted Application which will be totally phased out by 12/21/2023).

I personally do not conduct seminars Social Security tactics for this as my experience has always been professional "Seminar Buffet Snackers", with little if any, intent to do business. As Travis stated, most people can log on and get their own information on what they will receive for monthly payments. I do get referrals from time to time regarding a client from a tax professional who needs to change health insurance programs due to retirement, change in income, etc. I also work with a lot of disabled people who are on workers compensation and how Social Security benefits can be affected, widows/widowers, special needs children - all of these individuals have very specific situations that needs the attention of someone who can provide assistance with SSA or SSI, and it is good to have a bona fide contact within this organization who actually worked for SSA, and is able to provide assistance with more of the complex situations that arise from time to time.

In my opinion, the merit of any certification program should be based on how one is going to utilize the designation in one's practice. Studying for CLU, ChFC, CFP makes sense for those who have a centralized focus of business and it gives him/her credibility. The Certified Senior Advisor designation (I hold that one as well, I obtained this designation in its infancy) was one of the tougher certification programs that I have ever participated. A CSA can be a person who renders services to a senior - elder law and estate attorneys, tax professionals, financial professionals, social workers, geriatric care managers, life and health insurance agents - we all contribute to the whole of the well-being of a senior. Ethical standards are exceptionally high. One learns with about a lot of different segments of senior life. The CSA designation is not acknowledged in some some states, so one cannot put it on a business card. Same with the NSSA. Both of these are related to life, health and annuity agents.

So, I suppose if one is going to focus on a specific market segment, these designations are a good way to learn more detailed information. One gets updated on the changes that take place as quickly as the come about. Some might say this is a waste of time and money, and that is an opinion. For me, it makes me like the Six Million Dollar Woman - it rounds out my knowledge base as I am constantly learning new things, it helps existing or future clients who may need assistance, and in some case I can return a favor by referring a client, and it helps posture me to be educated and current in my field.

P.S. To Somarco - I would LOVE one of the badges!

Back