Social Security Expert Designation

Rousemark, I so agree with you. I believe it’s misleading to advertise oneself as an expert in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or Veterans Benefits. The connotation of having any one of those program names on one’s business cards, websites, or even making the statement is walking on suspended glass that may be tempered or not. Walk on tempered and it’s “phew”, not - well, let’s say the end result is not so happy.

If I recall correctly, at one time there was a CMS marketing rule of even having the word “Medicare” as a standalone word was considered a no-no. I don’t know if that rule was lifted, but I just don’t do it. I, for one, won’t mess with a live snake with stick, and poke at it, and try to get it to respond to aggressive teasing. No, not my style. But there are agents/brokers/and others that believe they know a lot more than think they do, hence tightened marketing rules, more ethics hours for CE continuation courses. Just my $0.38 worth as inflation has hit the $0.02 mark in the quote!

Back