Some good dental plans for family’s ?

That is also true,

However, here I do speak from some experience.

Normal preventive services, fillings, root canals, and crowns only.

In 2020 I maxed out one dental plan, and in ONE month came up $100-$200 shy of maxing out a second one.

In 2021 I maxed out two dental plans and had a cleaning visit on a third.
(And administrative issues in coping with 3 dental plan claims were one of the reasons my dentist fired me.)

Getting the 2nd and 3rd policies, I had to look at stuff like waivers of waiting periods, co-ordination of benefits (Ameritas and Met-Life don't as I recall, deductibles (amounts and types of services they applied to and whether they were lifetime or annual), what service category some "preventive" services fell into (some of the "cheap cost" plans moved some services from preventive to basic where they would be subject to a deductible and co-insurance), and other stuff I don't remember now.

I am not going to take the time to go back and look, but I think in 2020 or 2021 I had at least 3 D0140 visits which both my policies paid on. I am also pretty sure in 2019,2020, & 2021 I had at least 2 instances of having multiple fillings on one tooth within a 2 year period. (I may have 1 or 2 teeth which are silver, amalgam, and resin materials held together by enamel.)

The payment for "only amalgam fillings" on back teeth is a bit trickier. My long term dentist who retired in 2018 would do resin fillings on all my teeth and take my UHC payment in full - regardless of whether the payment was for resin or amalgam rates. In the 2019-2021 time period, I had one dentist that did the same and another that basically charged me full retail price for resin fillings on back teeth, subtracted the amalgam based payment and forced me to pay the full difference. (i.e. I got no network price adjustment on those fillings at that dentist.)

I have decided I’m never going to retire. 😳

what are some of the better dental plans for family’s ? I’ve sold a few medico dental plans for seniors . How about younger family’s with kids ? I was looking at Ameritas prime star . It only pays 20% of major charges after yr 1 . Many pay 50% .

Walmart now has dental clinics in some locations and i believe are planning on major expansion.They have state of the art dental tech in their clinics including dentures and same day crowns which i understand they charge about 800 cash price for.I know they are in network with UHC dental stand alone DVH plan and unlike most dental offices they embrace the UHC MA dental plans( except for the snp plans)

Walmart now has dental clinics in some locations and i believe are planning on major expansion.They have state of the art dental tech in their clinics including dentures and same day crowns which i understand they charge about 800 cash price for.I know they are in network with UHC dental stand alone DVH plan and unlike most dental offices they embrace the UHC MA dental plans( except for the snp plans)
Thanks for posting that information.

Why? 1 filling per tooth every 2 years does not mean you can only get a single filling every two years, it means you can get 1 filling on that particular tooth every 2 years.

That's one a person does not really understand until they experience the situation.

A tooth has 5 exposed surfaces, any one of which can develop a cavity at any time.

and, if a person (adult or child) has receding gumlines, there can be newly exposed areas which can either develop new cavities or weaken old fillings.

On molars, I think it could be relatively common for a person to need a filling on the biting surface and another on at least one of the sides.
=============================================

Here is an example of what I was talking about:

Humana Extend 2500

Basic services (90 day waiting period applies)
80% after deductible 80% after deductible

• Restorations – fillings (limit one per tooth per two years,
composites covered on front teeth only 2
MetLife Take along PPO-HIgh
Basic Restorative Services (Covered after a Waiting Period of 6 months)

8. Replacement of an existing amalgam or resin fillings, but only if:
• at least 24 months have passed since the existing filling was placed; or
• a new surface of decay is identified on that tooth

Note that Met-Life coverage acknowledges there is the possibility a policy holder could legitimately need an additional filling on a tooth that has already had a filling placed in it WITHIN the last 24 months.

I have Physicians Mutual's Preferred Dental plan, which pays about 55% of the network pricing.

My dentist is in the Ameritas network. The "Off the street price" as I call it for a root canal was $1474. The discounted price was $699. When all was said and done, my share was $324.00.

Add to that the 2 cleanings/exams which were paid at 100%.

$47/ month with no deductible and no annual max.

I have Physicians Mutual's Preferred Dental plan, which pays about 55% of the network pricing.

My dentist is in the Ameritas network. The "Off the street price" as I call it for a root canal was $1474. The discounted price was $699. When all was said and done, my share was $324.00.

No annual max? There has to be a catch?

The only catch is a 12 month wait on Major. But people understand the waiting period is there since there is no cap. It prevents people from paying for one month, getting 4 root canals, and then cancelling. (Though, they still get the discount, so if I was in the waiting period I still would have received the $699 price, rather than the $1474 price.)

I sell a lot of these plans.

Call Andrew Saul 205-522-7152 to find out more.

Last edited:

Caveat, I am NOT an insurance agent.

This:
comes across to me as an advertising subterfuge to conceal the true nature of the plan's reimbursement protocol.

Latest posts

Back