Stand alone dental + MAPD dental

DRA =? [EXTERNAL LINK] - DRA :huh:

COB=? As in CORN? :err:

DRA . . . see link and note the annual cap (allowance). Also, no mention of how (or if) they police double dipping. On the surface it looks like a weak product suitable for offering low information folks looking for more free stuff.

Also note the DRA is one of THREE options . . . the other two plans don't mention reimbursement. How does the prospect/client know they have a DRA plan unless the agent explains how DRA differs from the other 2 options and offers them a choice?

Of course it might be that the agent assumes the DRA applies to all Aetna MAPD dental plans.
Oops!

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Understanding your MA dental benefits

COB (even though I know you are being a smartass)

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Coordination of Benefits | CMS

Last edited:
So I decided to call Humana and this is what they told me:

The dental benefits do not coordinate, so the customer would have to use one or the other.
For example She could exhaust all her $2,000 in dental benefits on the MAPD in one visit, then on a second visit start to use the $5,000 in dental benefits in the stand alone plan. Or vice versa, but she cannot use both plans at the same time for the same claim.

Caveats, I am NOT an agent. I have no experience using an MAPD plan.

Better make sure both stand alone plans coordinate benefits. Manhattan and Aetna(CLI) don't
Yes, that could be an issue.

It is not for me. I don't know if UHC dental ins coordinates benefits, but it is not an issue for me because it is my primary dental ins. Kansas BCBS and Delta coverage both coordinate benefits.

I think it was MetLife that had a policy I was interested in but I could not consider it because they told me they do not coordinate benefits. So if I had two policies and MetLife was secondary, I would never collect any money from them.

With Aetna there is no coordination. It’s a reimbursement, send them what you paid and they send you a check. All the Aetna plans in my area are that way. I have around 500 with Aetna MA so I feel confident saying this. Ha

Back