Starting at NYL - Best Appt. Setting Techniques to Start With?

Re: Starting at NYL - Best Appt. Setting Techniques to Start With

I work at NYL, have a terrible natural market and had 1 family member who wanted insurance (very small policy on a young person) when I walked in to the business 6 months ago as an intern. I'm now full time and love it and would be happy to answer any of your questions.

What has worked really well for me has been cold calling local business professionals who leave cards at restaurants (makes a cold call a little warmer) and networking like crazy. There are probably tons of opportunities for you to meet new people in your area - meet at least 3 new people every day. Personal observation prospecting has been working extremely well for me too. Also, go spend a lot of time reading good books and listening to good audio. I have a few recommendations if you're interested.

The comments on lasting only a year are really true. I've been here 6 months and already had half of my class leave the business. The retention rate in this industry is really low for a reason - it's a rough start.

You most certainly can succeed and do very well. It's extremely difficult and is an uphill battle at first BUT if you keep at it, if you've got the drive, you can make it happen.

Thanks!! Awesome insight! I don't have 20 posts yet so I cant pm. Can I ask you a few questions in here, then maybe you can pm me the answers?

What do you find are your most successful techniques when calling on businesses? How does your cold call work? Is your main goal setting an appointment on your first call? Or do you do a follow up system and build their trust first?

What kind of commission numbers have you achieved in your first 6 months, and how much total income has that given you after bonus allotment and NYL expenses?

Just curious and excited to get started... Thanks again for the insight!

And yes, I would love more info on your favorite books and/or audio!

Back