Starting at NYL - Best Appt. Setting Techniques to Start With?

Re: Starting at NYL - Best Appt. Setting Techniques to Start With

So do you guys still feel like NYL is a good place to start eventhough you never own your book? I would like to do this for a long time, and I want to be with a company that I will be happy with forever.

go for it!! it is a good company..and you will make money.. you will be trained correctly, and if you don't like it their. you will at least get some good training.

So do you guys still feel like NYL is a good place to start eventhough you never own your book? I would like to do this for a long time, and I want to be with a company that I will be happy with forever.
As time goes, you will change and the company may change. You may not always be happy there, but they are as good a place to start as anywhere.

Thats all fine and good....but most likly will be out of NYL after a year....

have been down that road at Met along time ago....just by what he is been told gave me flash backs....out of all the guys I started with at Met I am the only one left in the insurance industry...

Don't sugar-coat it. Tell us what you REALLY think.;)

So I'm pretty much hearing two different points...

A) great training, great company, go for it

B) great company, great training, you won't last a year

So what's the deal? Do I have just as good of an opportunity with NYL as anywhere else? Or is it really hard unless you get consistently lucky? I would say I have an above average warm market and an incredible work ethic. Also, my manager seems genuine.

So break it down for me...

you have to start somewhere and NYL is a good start.....they will teach you product knowledge but as far as learning how to develop leads that is something that comes with time...Met had me going through the polk directory cold calling old mortgages trying to make appointments.....this was also the time MET was being sued for selling WL's to nurses as a retirement vehicle....

I work at NYL, have a terrible natural market and had 1 family member who wanted insurance (very small policy on a young person) when I walked in to the business 6 months ago as an intern. I'm now full time and love it and would be happy to answer any of your questions.

What has worked really well for me has been cold calling local business professionals who leave cards at restaurants (makes a cold call a little warmer) and networking like crazy. There are probably tons of opportunities for you to meet new people in your area - meet at least 3 new people every day. Personal observation prospecting has been working extremely well for me too. Also, go spend a lot of time reading good books and listening to good audio. I have a few recommendations if you're interested.

The comments on lasting only a year are really true. I've been here 6 months and already had half of my class leave the business. The retention rate in this industry is really low for a reason - it's a rough start.

You most certainly can succeed and do very well. It's extremely difficult and is an uphill battle at first BUT if you keep at it, if you've got the drive, you can make it happen.

Last edited:

LIMRA says the 4 year retention rate is 11%. The blue-chippers like NYL, NML, Mass, etc will reluctantly admit that their numbers are about the same. Other captives that don't specialize in training up newbies like Guardian or Securian (Minnesota Life) have another problem. They tend to churn guys who are just hanging on. Once they "lick the red off the candy" with one company, they slide over to the next company to start all over on a new finance plan. The crazy thing is that the companies do it knowingly.

No joke, at a company I was doing training for, the agency leadership decided to hire a guy who was quite educated in our industry, but had been with 9 captives in the past 11 years - one company 3 times! The longest tenure anywhere was 14 months. They hired him anyway. Insanity. BTW, he left after 5 months - right after the home office guarantee stopped.

For some of the captive guys who wonder why the indies have such strong opinions of the captive companies, this is why. The indies get churned on too, but they don't drop thousands on every failure, financed by the keepers like the career shops.

Back