Super new agent here, please help

I would cut bait on P&C and go life and Health.

I'm gonna need you to get off the P&C forum with your divisive rhetoric.

Brand new P&C agent here. I admitted that I got my license straight without doing the research to find out how insurance agents work/how much we can make.

Long story short, I got my license. Now how do I start selling? From my understanding, I need to work with an insurance broker(agency), and that agency is appointed by several carriers. So, I contacted an agency near me. They are contracted with Brightway, commissions are 8%-10% depending on the carrier. If I join this agency, my split will look like this:

80/20 new business

50/50 renewal

$550/per month (software and training from brightway).

Also, the agency will get a cut from my commission as well, maybe 10%( negotiable).

So let's say if I wrote a home owner policy of $1000 with 10% commission, the calculation would be: $1000x10%=$100

$100x80%= $80

$80x90%=$72

Does that sound right? Not to mention I have a monthly fee of $550??

I’m very confused, Please help me clear things up.

Sounds like a terrible deal. What made you decide to get your license in the first place?

I agree with the other posters, Florida is a very, very tough market right now, probably one of the worst ones in history. You should go find an account manager role at an agency and earn a salary while you learn the business. If you're going to try and sell as a brand new agent on that fee/commission structure in Florida, you are most likely going to starve and leave the industry.

Couple math errors..

#1 average Florida Home premium is prolly closer to $5k a year as almost no companies selling in Florida anymore, so the good news is premiums are really high & everyone is looking but you will work full time dealing with all the cancellations & rewrites, etc.

#2 when the agency says 80/20 on new & 50/50 on renewal, that means they are only taking 20% of the commission from the carrier commission before passing along to you, so you shouldn't have to add another 10% for the agency later in your calculation.

IE: 5,000 x 10% commission= 500 commission from carrier to agency. Agency keeps $100 & gives you $400

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Florida homeowners will face a projected 40 percent increase in property insurance rates

Back