Talk to me about non-traditional ideas

Hi Everyone
I have officially made it through my second AEP as a broker and I'm looking for marketing ideas. Don't get me wrong we definitely have seen an increase in client traffic I did 457 appointments which was over 100 more than last year. The trouble is a good chunk of those are PDP.

We currently do a Santa for Seniors, we are doing 2 festival of trees, A suicide walk, donations to a few different charity events, thank you gifts to all of our doctor offices for Christmas. We also plan to do nursing home week gifts, and a fundraiser for a non-profit that helps pay our clients insurance premiums.

We do Birthday cards, Christmas cards, thank you cards, get well cards, and I'm sorry for your loss cards. At Christmas we also mail all of our first year widows/widowers an ornament in honor of their spouse.

I do not want to do traditional advertising and I need to pitch my carriers for some co-op cash.

Go ahead and adopt the "I only do pdp review and enrollments if you move your supp to me" mantra.

You'll be shocked how many you get.

Hi Everyone
I have officially made it through my second AEP as a broker and I'm looking for marketing ideas. Don't get me wrong we definitely have seen an increase in client traffic I did 457 appointments which was over 100 more than last year. The trouble is a good chunk of those are PDP.

We currently do a Santa for Seniors, we are doing 2 festival of trees, A suicide walk, donations to a few different charity events, thank you gifts to all of our doctor offices for Christmas. We also plan to do nursing home week gifts, and a fundraiser for a non-profit that helps pay our clients insurance premiums.

We do Birthday cards, Christmas cards, thank you cards, get well cards, and I'm sorry for your loss cards. At Christmas we also mail all of our first year widows/widowers an ornament in honor of their spouse.

I do not want to do traditional advertising and I need to pitch my carriers for some co-op cash.

Your going to be broke like Jaden if you do PDP without the med supp......

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I have started requesting that my Anthem people with grants do an AOR change. I don't believe that AARP allows AOR changes and the other coverage my people have is TransAmerica and they no longer contract with brokers.

As far as my numbers go
PDP - 116 (with my carriers, some went with the non-contracting plans because of the huge cost difference for their meds)
MAPD - 123
Med Supp - 51
Marketplace - 75

I am doing up my business plan for marketing funds. I went through and calculated all of the grant payments I have gotten my clients since I started in 2021 and I was shocked by the total. I got $1,321,994.40 in premiums or medication copays paid for my clients from just one organization. $708,388.47 went to Anthem, $180,589.46 went to AARP, and $15699.30 went to Humana, the rest went to other carriers like TransAmerica.

I am thinking one of my pitches to Anthem will be a fundraiser for the grant organization to help give back some of what has been paid to them. I am planning it for July since that is chronic illness awareness month. I am hoping that with more publicity about the grants we help with we will see an increase in Med Supp.

I don't think I did that bad numbers wise but I would love to pour some gasoline on my growth. I am really hoping to hit the 100K mark for my salary by year 5. I currently do commission splits (I know I am giving away my hard-earned money but I am comfortable with the 50/50 split considering I also get a base pay and benefits, plus mentorship). We have already done up the paperwork so that when she retires or if something happens to her I take over the full book of Health clients so I am not worried about that.

Last year with my base pay I came in just above $63K which is huge for me but everything I am earning more is going right out the door to stupid inflation and costs I previously didn't have like health insurance (I had state Medicaid for my family because of how low my income was at my previous job).

One thing to watch out for is if you are sending these carriers gi/open enrollment biz that 3rd parties are paying the premiums you might find that you get terminated for sending crud biz.

I'm sure these people with meds/pre ex that require grant funding aren't in great shape so keep that in mind.

One thing to watch out for is if you are sending these carriers gi/open enrollment biz that 3rd parties are paying the premiums you might find that you get terminated for sending crud biz.

I'm sure these people with meds/pre ex that require grant funding aren't in great shape so keep that in mind.

So thankfully I have great carriers and in our state Anthem doesn't require any health questions. The main conditions I get grants for actually aren't that horrendous they are Hypercholesterolemia and Gout. Some clients have a significant list of other diagnoses but for others, that is their only issue.

Your going to be broke like Jaden if you do PDP without the med supp....
That is not 100% true.
I use the PDP like bait on a fishing line.
During AEP, I get 30+ seniors that call or come in wanting help with their PDP. These seniors are all referrals. Their Med Supp is with someone else. I tell these seniors, “Sorry, I only do Medicare Plan Finder reviews and sales for my existing Med Supp clients. I have limited time during AEP, and, I only have time to service my existing med supp clients”.
Most take the bait. They are open to reviewing their Med Supp. If I can’t get their Med Supp app through underwriting, then, I calendar them and move the on their “Birthday Open Enrollment”.
If someone only wants me to review their PDP only, I kick them to the curb.

Our area is very small and the nearest agency besides ours that does PDP is over an hour away. I am having my Anthem people do AOR change requests but premium wise I don't think I will get TransAmerica's to move. It will certainly be a discussion I can have with them.

I try and streamline my process with PDP and require that they send me their drug list by no later than 10/1. I run what I can between 10/1 and 10/14 and try to have the basic conversations of whether you need to move or you don't need to move. I wish the PDP would stop messing with their formularies to make out lives easier, but that's never going to happen.

We got new benefits with our Humana DSNP this year so I am really hoping they maintain what they are offering as those will stay put. Most of my other non-DSNP are in 5-star plans and they are very loyal to them.

I do not accept any non-clients for Patient Assistance during AEP and we are hoping to eventually bring on someone to be my assistant at least during AEP. I booked my clients out for next year and when I check them and they don't need to move I tell them and that opens up a slot. I have a feeling next year will require a lot more days and hours but hey at least it's only for 2 months.

My biggest focus is on bringing in the T-65 and retirees. I have actually had good luck with the DSNP within the last year and most live in subsidized housing so they spread the word, I mean who doesn't want a $125 visa debit card :) I am hoping to bring in more of those clients during the year as well.

I have been cultivating a relationship with the area nursing homes and assisted living communities so that I become their go-to for referrals. Most of their residents are dual and when they are only left with $40 it can be hard for families to get what they need.

I have a very solid relationship with all of the primary care providers in my area but most are with a hospital system that hates MAPD. I am hoping our local hospital gets bought out because the prospective buyer actually teamed up with a Carrier to offer special plans.

Latest posts

Back