Tennessee EMT Looking to Change Career. Please Help!

richard.glisson

I am a combat medic in the military and EMT-IV in the civilian work. I currently find myself unemployed and considering a career change from the medical field to Insurance. I have spoken with a few agencies such as Liberty Mutual (claim to need a bachelor degree and great credit), State Farm (recommended I find an agency that will pay for my licensing and training), Platinum (google search says to STAY AWAY) and Aflac (which this forum says is a mistake, lol).

Here is my problem.. I have no experience in the Insurance/sales field whatsoever. While I have spent substantial time searching through this subforum, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of information out there. I am beginning to think I really need someone to hold my hand, lol!

Are there agencies out there that hold your hand and walk you through the first few steps? Example: RE/MAX Realty has a program called "Operation RE/MAX" where they take on veterans and walk them through becoming an agent.

Should I get my license on my own, or should I apply to as many agencies as possible and try to land a position first? Will having my license first with no experience really make me any more marketable?

Is it true Kentucky Licenses have reciprocity value throughout the majority of the country?

What is my best option as far as schooling goes? Find a campus setting or online training? Any recommendations as far as institutions are concerned? Im thinking Med Supps is where I would start.

Is there anyone from TN that is willing to go into PM's with me over the next few weeks and kind of break down the TN licensure process and job market? Im located in a small rural town about an hour north of Jackson.

I realize these are probably redundant questions, and I followed TennesseeHorn's various threads but I cant seem to really get an answer for these questions.

Last edited:
Your best shot at making it is to go captive and learn the business. How close are you to Humboldt? An old college buddy of mine has an agency there. Haven't talked with him in years but he might be willing to give you some pointers.

Absolutely, I wasn't really putting any eggs into the Indy basket, as I know there is entirely to much that I would need to learn. I have several "learn to sell" cd's and I have recently begun studying them, but I know there is so much more to it that I simply would not be able to reach my fullest potential on my own.

I am roughly thirty minutes from Humboldt. That would be awesome if your friend was willing to sit down with me and explain a few details of the profession!

Back