The Secret to Link Building...

With all the shenanigans Google's been up to in their very obvious attempt to conquer the Internet and destroy online businesses, it's often hard to know what to do in the way of backlinks. Even for those of us who basically know most of the options.

One of the few truly "safe" areas I see for backlinking is still directory submissions -- assuming the God Google hasn't made them off limit. I'm not talking article directories -- I'm talking about the likes of Yahoo! directory, Starting Point, Business.com, Ezilion, Best of the Web and many others.

Most of these are "paid" directories. You pay either a one-time registration fee or a recurring annual fee that can range from probably $29.95 to $299.00.

The benefit to getting listed with a select number of these directories is that rather than seeing your website move up a position or two from ranking efforts you make, which is normally the case, getting listings from these directories will often move your website up 10 to 35 positions within one to two weeks depending on the directories you get listed with.

If I've been hired to get a website to the first page of Google, getting listed with high authoritative directories is one of the first recommendations I will make.

Maybe this worked in the 90s but I'd like to see anyone make it to the top of anything using just paid directories. With this thinking I can see why you are in the live transfer business.

Last edited:
The backlink profile is the essence of a money making insurance affiliate website.

Diversity (backlinks from as many types of sources)

Velocity (speed and consistency of link building)

Anchor text ratio (ratio of brand, main keyword, and generic keywords)

Authority link ratio (too many links from garbage sites will get you sanboxed)

Trust level (The higher level of Authority sites and the higher the PR backlinks are, will give you trust in Googles eyes.)

Social media ratio (not enough social signals and you wont move up in Google)

SEO is an all day everyday process, and doesn't give you much time to do anything else. So for those of us that actually want to get involved in our business we need to pay someone to do this for us or we need to pay for links. The idea of being able to get to the top three of a good keyword in Google without paying for links is simply a fantasy.

I will sum it up into one line.

Backlinks are only as good as their backlinks.

Monthly paid links:

Private high pr blog networks that haven't been hit are still working good.

SAPE networks are great right now but I wouldn't be surprised if Google catches on to them.

Their are still high pr newspaper websites that Google didn't hit. But these are expensive but worth it.

Paid permanent links:

Manual WEB 2.0's with 100% unique content are good.

Contextual Backlinks to your backlinks are extremely helpful.

Social signals.

ANY Contextual 100% unique backlink is GREAT.

Google has caught onto spun articles so you need to super spin them. Make them 100% readable and 100% unique and Google will love them. Then make quality backlinks to these backlinks to give them extra juice.

you could also make the argument that any 'link building' is black hat. if you asked matt cutts he would say others should be linking to you naturally.

OK folks, sorry I offended your fear of Google.

I do agree, spinning articles is blackhat but if we hand write all the articles involved then this would be whitehat. So lets talk all white hat and maybe a little grey hat.

Press releases

Hand written, manual web 2.0's

Hand written manual guest posts

What about hand written paid reviews of your website? (do you feel this is blackhat I would say at most greyhat)

What about paid banner advertising that links directly back to your website. This counts as a backlink but is an image.

Having an impressive photo gallery that other websites would want to link to counts as backlinks and that's completely natural.

What about helpful additions to Wikipedia and other wikis that might have your link in it?

Guys I could go on all day. But the same is true, we don't have time to be doing this all day to get up in Google and still be running a full time company. We must pay for this service. So the fact that Google expects us not to pay in some way or another is simply a joke. Google themselves live off of paid links, its called adwords and adsense.

Anyways thats a bit off topic. I just mentioned several methods of whitehat links if thats all the guts you have (just kidding guys, I actually understand) I myself prefer the risk and the big payoff. But going white for a slow but long lasting ranking is respectful. I just prefer the glory hahahaha.

Sorry if I offended anyone by speaking blackhat, If you all prefer I will stick to whitehat from now on at this forum...

It's all about link diversity. It's like JohnWalker said, you need to get them from all over just like your business.

Anchor text has to be different. If you want all your links from other site to be Florida Life Insurance than you look like a program. Your links should laser targeted like "buy tampa fl life insurance" and "life insurance agent tampa fl"

Google has trashed a lot of links from known article farms. People are buying links from private networks.

Latest posts

Back