Touch Screen Technology

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Ok - tired of clicking the mouse all day and looking for touch screen technology.

I went to Best Buy this weekend and demo'ed the HP Touchsmart 600. Seems fantastic - kinda an all-in-one system. Seems to have good reviews.

Anyone have a touch screen computer? Anything I should know about before I go and plop down 1K+?

Last edited by a moderator:
I first saw this on HSN, and went to best buy as well, it's fun...basically a novelty, but seemed to me it's just for fun, it will actually take more time to complete a task using touchscreen instead of mouse.

I first saw this on HSN, and went to best buy as well, it's fun...basically a novelty, but seemed to me it's just for fun, it will actually take more time to complete a task using touchscreen instead of mouse.

I'm not sure. Right now I'd click in a folder then on a document. With this I'd touch the folder and document.

This is almost health related. I've done so much clicking I'm starting to get pain in my hands.

I looked at them also.

I use a wireless keyboard, mouse, Laptop and 22" monitor. I tend to sit back from my monitors, So I would have to be arms length for the touch screen. Did not work for me.

I think that a touch screen would be great on a tablet computer.

I looked at them also.

I use a wireless keyboard, mouse, Laptop and 22" monitor. I tend to sit back from my monitors, So I would have to be arms length for the touch screen. Did not work for me.

I think that a touch screen would be great on a tablet computer.

Think of it as an exercise program. You do a situp every time you need to click on something. :biggrin:

If you think your display screen gets dirty now, just wait for all the additional fingerprints.

The computer industry has been working on touch screen technology for years. It really hasn’t caught on in the desktop and laptop markets but is working well in the Smartphone and growing tablet markets.

The W3C published an editor's draft of a new touch-screen standard for Web apps on January 28, 2011. See dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/tip/touchevents.html

Personally I would wait for the technology to mature a bit more before adopting it.

Well, again, I need to get something touchscreen because I'm at the point where my hands are starting to hurt. Too many years of mouse clicking is taking its toll.

A pad won't work for me. But actually, and it's hard to describe the way I sit in my office, I can have the keyboard on my lap and easily touch the screen so for me, it works.

I'm not sure how advanced the technology needs to be at this point for it to be functional. When I demo'd it, when I touched anything on the screen it worked. It's also only $1,000 - not much more than I'd spend on another regular computer.

Last edited:
Instead of plunking down 1000+ on a new computer, why not just get a touch screen capable monitor.

Unless your system itself needs upgrading, you can get a 22" touch screen monitor for around 200 bucks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For that matter, whats the difference between a 1000 dollar HP computer with a touch screen monitor, and a 300 dollar PC with no monitor and windows 7, plus a touchscreen monitor, other than 500 dollars.

Last edited:
Back