Trumpcare - Making It Great Again

Well, when the ACA co-op in my state went under it cost me $5000 in commissions (right before Christmas, than you Barry) and I have dozens of clients still fighting to get claims from 2015 paid. I am not saying there should be no regulation at all, but if the "crossing state lines" idea is so unattractive to insurance companies, why did the federal government have to create a law to stop it and who is that law helping? (Seriously, I don' know)

I'm going to give you a Pre ACA on why crossing state lines doesn't work. And this isn't an ACA issue. It's been state driven way before anyone had heard of Obama.

The laws in each state were different prior to ACA. TX had a $5 million lifetime max. And dependent coverage to 25.

Utah had a $1 million max. (Maybe $2?). No clue on dependent age.

From a states rights perspective, the Utah legislature doesn't get to pass laws that affect TX citizens. Because if you are annoyed with the DOI, you have no recourse to vote out the legislators who are supporting it.

As an FYI, provider relations and contracting with 1000s of providers IS very costly.

You are annoyed that no one is left (and I'm on board with blaming ACA) on the Utah Exchange. But states lines is not the solution. There are other carriers there who have the infrastructure in place and they don't want to participate.

I am very sorry about the commissions and claims!

This whole Co-op idea was part of the ACA. That's exactly what it is and idea.. an unproven concept that's not real insurance. The one that was in our state went under also. In fact it's counterproductive and keeps them young healthy ones from buying real insurance which might help hold the premium rates down for everybody else.
Actually that is also a "unknown"

Fortunately, most Americans are enjoying the health exchange and carriers are benefiting from the system they lobbied for.

Most Americans have something other than "health exchange" plans.
Insurance companies are losing money on their "health exchange" plans.

The ObamaScrew health exchange-marketplace plans are horrible. Thank-goodness only 8% of Americans must buy this crap, and many of them are receiving government welfare stipends to pay much of the monthly premium.

what makes negotiating contracts with thousands of providers reasonable in one state and not another?

This question clearly shows you do not understand the product.

But don't worry. Georgia legislators didn't understand either. Three years ago they made it legal for carriers operating on other states to sell health insurance here.

To date not a single carrier has made application to sell their "other state" plans here.

If health insurance doesn't suit you, then you should run for public office. You will feel right at home.

It's the ACA that FORCES someone to not only sell a product,

Really?

If Obamacare forced carriers to sell insurance how did carriers like World, Celtic and Assurant get out?

if the "crossing state lines" idea is so unattractive to insurance companies, why did the federal government have to create a law to stop it

Which law is that?

I must have missed class that day.

Most Americans have something other than "health exchange" plans.
Insurance companies are losing money on their "health exchange" plans.

The ObamaScrew health exchange-marketplace plans are horrible. Thank-goodness only 8% of Americans must buy this crap, and many of them are receiving government welfare stipends to pay much of the monthly premium.

You have to realize that the ACA exchanges are based off of the same programs Romney was hailed as a champion for in Massachusetts. It was shrewd move on the President's part because he realized pushing through healthcare reform was going to be next to impossible without compromise.

What he never predicted was that Republicans would rally against the bill that was based off the same plan their nominee was touting the whole election season; gut the whole thing; and then complained and even refused to implement a bill that they fought tooth and nail to have amended the way it was.

Also, if they are horrible, how are they comparable to employer sponsored plans? Did you miss that part of the article? Are most employer sponsored plans horrible?

All of you geniuses are missing the point about allowing to sell across state lines. It has less about to do with increasing competition, and more about decreasing regulations (one of the main drivers of increasing cost in the insurance marketd).
For example.
If an insurer could be HQ in a lower regulation state like Florida, and wanted to sell in a higher regulation state like NY, all they would have to do is move to Florida, and sell across state lines to skirt the regulations. This would force NY to become more competitive with regulations, or lose precious tax dollars.
There is nothing in the concept that says insurance companiez cant charge higher premiums for people thats live in other states, thats just made up propaganda by Democrat insurance agents that are afraid of more competition.

Pop quiz time for Nelson, Axe and others who think selling HEALTH insurance across state lines is a good idea.

Why do HEALTH insurance policies cost more in one state vs. another? In the same vein, why do health insurance policies in one part of a state cost more than in others?

Yagents, thanks for that fluff piece of left wing fiction. It almost made my day.

The eight-page article defends the ACA for reducing the uninsured rate, improving access to care, and increasing financial security by reducing the potential for medical debt.

Pop quiz time for Nelson, Axe and others who think selling HEALTH insurance across state lines is a good idea.

Why do HEALTH insurance policies cost more in one state vs. another? In the same vein, why do health insurance policies in one part of a state cost more than in others?

Yagents, thanks for that fluff piece of left wing fiction. It almost made my day.

This proves you did not read the article.

Back