• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Web Design, Why Does It Matter ?

I didnt realize those were harsh words.
And I actually gave you a compliment on your example websites.

I only made that comment after multiple people made comments about the functionality of your site and you were still defending it.
And you go and compare my self designed site to a childs because I agreed with everyone else.

But yeah, Im the jerk.

You would think that a web design professional would listen when a bunch of prospective clients are telling him that his own site needs work...

Can we stop beating the dead horse here ? If it makes you feel any better I am the jerk.

I've found this post interesting, especially because the OP [original poster....I'll try not to use "inside" language] is from the Republic of Macedonia. Pretty cool that this Forum reaches around the world.

I think it is important to remember that Alex is not a native English speaker & thus some things we say may come across as a literal vs figure of speech, & thus can be taken the wrong way. It goes the same way when he responds.

Being that the first programmers in my company were from Moldova & I have 2 sons doing web/internet business in Beijing, China right now, I have a different perspective on this than most.

I know that Somarco met 2 of our Moldovian developers at a meeting way back in 2007 in Nashville....Bob, that seems an eternity ago:) Having them at the meeting made for some interesting conversations as English was obviously not their native tongue.

Alex, I applaud you for diving in & creating an interesting conversation on this Forum. I'm sure you have the Best of intentions & are trying to give back, help those in this community with your skill set. Stay around a while, help as you can & I'm sure you will earn some business. Try to understand us a bit too, maybe reflect a bit on what was said before responding...and/or ask for clarification if we are somewhat obtuse in our responses.

I will say that when we started HometownQuotes.com, we spent around $5,000 getting the first iteration of our site built....but not one person we talked to about designing it could tell us much about marketing it. The best answer that I still remember was: "you might take a look at that Google thing." :idea:

If you want to know what we looked like back then, try the Wayback Machine @ Internet Archive: Wayback Machine Or check out any other website there for that matter!

I've found this post interesting, especially because the OP [original poster....I'll try not to use "inside" language] is from the Republic of Macedonia. Pretty cool that this Forum reaches around the world.

I think it is important to remember that Alex is not a native English speaker & thus some things we say may come across as a literal vs figure of speech, & thus can be taken the wrong way. It goes the same way when he responds.

Being that the first programmers in my company were from Moldova & I have 2 sons doing web/internet business in Beijing, China right now, I have a different perspective on this than most.

I know that Somarco met 2 of our Moldovian developers at a meeting way back in 2007 in Nashville....Bob, that seems an eternity ago:) Having them at the meeting made for some interesting conversations as English was obviously not their native tongue.

Alex, I applaud you for diving in & creating an interesting conversation on this Forum. I'm sure you have the Best of intentions & are trying to give back, help those in this community with your skill set. Stay around a while, help as you can & I'm sure you will earn some business. Try to understand us a bit too, maybe reflect a bit on what was said before responding...and/or ask for clarification if we are somewhat obtuse in our responses.

I will say that when we started HometownQuotes.com, we spent around $5,000 getting the first iteration of our site built....but not one person we talked to about designing it could tell us much about marketing it. The best answer that I still remember was: "you might take a look at that Google thing." :idea:

If you want to know what we looked like back then, try the Wayback Machine @ Internet Archive: Wayback Machine Or check out any other website there for that matter!

Thanks, that's a good post. A large part of it is true, since I think I mistake the intention of some of these posts (which may happen to me while I'm speaking to someone English in person, let alone a forum). But one thing I noticed is most of the people here don't trust web designers at all.

I'm the new guy here so I don't expect anyone to trust me right off the bat, I mean that's just common sense. I'll stick around and see if I can build some trust.

It's funny though, the forum kinda exploded soon after I joined. So much for my plan to lay low and try to help.

That reminds me of my first web site... I was 13... I liked the random colors back then...

Based on this comment, you really have no business here. You do not understand what interest insurance agents when it comes to websites.

You might do well to learn some about the business before trying to build websites for agents.

Based on this comment, you really have no business here. You do not understand what interest insurance agents when it comes to websites.

You might do well to learn some about the business before trying to build websites for agents.

Random colors don't give a professional vibe. Random colors tell the potential customer that maybe the person who designed the site didn't actually know what he was doing. If you want to use multiple colors they must match the overall color scheme of the site, no matter for what is your site intended.

If you are selling insurance, wouldn't you like that the person who comes to your site feels like you are a professional and they are in good hands ?

Random colors don't give a professional vibe. Random colors tell the potential customer that maybe the person who designed the site didn't actually know what he was doing. If you want to use multiple colors they must match the overall color scheme of the site, no matter for what is your site intended.

If you are selling insurance, wouldn't you like that the person who comes to your site feels like you are a professional and they are in good hands ?

As I have said, and will say again, you don't have a clue.

You've already been told this website is successful, several people have said it. And all you want to do is tell us what's wrong with it. The carrier has told Dave it is a successful website, they are able to see the business the guy places with them through it.

You're like the guy trying to tell me the sky is pink while I'm standing outside staring up at the clear blue sky.

Insurance websites fulfill one of two purposes. They generate leads or they serve as validation. That is it. No one cares how pretty they are.

As I have said, and will say again, you don't have a clue.

You've already been told this website is successful, several people have said it. And all you want to do is tell us what's wrong with it. The carrier has told Dave it is a successful website, they are able to see the business the guy places with them through it.

You're like the guy trying to tell me the sky is pink while I'm standing outside staring up at the clear blue sky.

Insurance websites fulfill one of two purposes. They generate leads or they serve as validation. That is it. No one cares how pretty they are.

I'm not discussing whether or not the website is successful. But web design is a factor in the success of the site. If someone knows where they can get the best insurance for the lowest price, they won't go looking for another website.

But what if one has to choose between a few sites, how would he determine which one ? This is where the website comes as a factor. If the person feels safer with your website, that's the one they will go with.

For example, I'd go with Texas State Low Cost Insurance. Why ? It looks professional.

Somarco met 2 of our Moldovian developers at a meeting way back in 2007 in Nashville....Bob, that seems an eternity ago

Was it really that long ago? Much has changed in the interim.

"Stay around a while, help as you can & I'm sure you will earn some business. Try to understand us a bit too, maybe reflect a bit on what was said before responding...and/or ask for clarification if we are somewhat obtuse in our responses. "

With all the real web designers on here who actually specialize in insurance websites and don't bicker with their potential clients, I doubt hell see a penny from IF members. I think he's on the bad side of enough regulars that hell get cock blocked every step of the way.

"Stay around a while, help as you can & I'm sure you will earn some business. Try to understand us a bit too, maybe reflect a bit on what was said before responding...and/or ask for clarification if we are somewhat obtuse in our responses. "

With all the real web designers on here who actually specialize in insurance websites and don't bicker with their potential clients, I doubt hell see a penny from IF members. I think he's on the bad side of enough regulars that hell get cock blocked every step of the way.

Of course, only the most talented web designers can make an insurance website, but only after half of them were shot to reduce them to only a select few. After that years and years of specialization are needed to become a insurance web designer. No mere mortal can possibly think of producing a quality insurance website.

Back