Website Hosting - Recommendations Needed

Re: Wegsite Hosting - Recommendations Needed

They're pretty limited though. Many more options with "real" hosts.

That's what I don't get when people say they are pretty limited. I'm alotted good about of databasing plus tools for them on godaddy. The only problem I've encountered, was if I wanted to put magento on a database with them. But how many here actually run an ecommerce site. As for a CRM/CMS...I've built my own, and used them. No complications.

To be honest, most of the web work I do - when using godaddy - is via a FTP and through my design programs. I never actually log into my godaddy account, it just exists.

They have their wordpress platform (in which many here seem to enjoy), plus drupal, zencart (which I really don't care for), but I've even installed prestashop with no headaches.

Again, most of the work for a website is basically on the HTML pages, the langauage of it, the css of it, etc. It actually has nothing to do with the hosting.

I've tried hostgator, and nothing I have to complain about them. They seem good.

But others, as 1 & 1, they drive me nuts, or closed business hours, or transfered to someone who seems to be reading a manual - making me go through steps so unessary.

I'm not trying to start a war of words here, and like I've said - no complaints on company like hostgator. But, when people talk about godaddy, they never seem to say what their limitations or other problems are. I'm just curious to see what they are.

Fill me in. ;)

I have several domain names registered but am not yet 'pointing' them anywhere. I'd love your two cents on a good hosting service, geared toward insurance agents, so I can market it online via SEO. Any good template-sites that allow me to add/modify content?
Bob

Sounds like this project is DIY, if that's the case hostgator provides the best service and the best resources. Anytime I have ever had a problem they have been there to walk me through it. No third party customer service.

I was hosting everything with Godaddy then tried out Hostgator. I now have everything with Hostgator.

When I first started developing I was doing something so backwards I couldn't explain what the issue was to them, they hung on the line and google searched with me for almost an hour until we were both able to figure out the question I was trying to ask.

on another note

I owe you a huge thank you by the way, when I was an agent your training site saved my a** when I first started. Had I not stumbled across it on the forum I honestly probably would not have made it anywhere in the business.

When I first started developing I was doing something so backwards I couldn't explain what the issue was to them, they hung on the line and google searched with me for almost an hour until we were both able to figure out the question I was trying to ask.

on another note

I owe you a huge thank you by the way, when I was an agent your training site saved my a** when I first started. Had I not stumbled across it on the forum I honestly probably would not have made it anywhere in the business.

Thank you! And now we're doing websites:-) You actually don't live that far from me - I'm 20 minutes outside DC. Right now I'm busy learning to develop using Genesis.

Thank you! And now we're doing websites:-) You actually don't live that far from me - I'm 20 minutes outside DC. Right now I'm busy learning to develop using Genesis.

I thought the same thing, but he's actually in NY.

Back to the hosting question, we're actually comparing apples to cider here. Hostgator will give you full cPanel access and let you manage everything you want including virtually unlimited email accounts for about what godaddy wants for a super basic site. What godaddy offers is a super stripped down service.

I thought the same thing, but he's actually in NY.

Back to the hosting question, we're actually comparing apples to cider here. Hostgator will give you full cPanel access and let you manage everything you want including virtually unlimited email accounts for about what godaddy wants for a super basic site. What godaddy offers is a super stripped down service.

Just my personal experience, but from time to time when I'd install WP with Godaddy it would fail. I'd have to then roll back the installation and try again.

Not only has that never happened with Hostgator, but the installation is lightening fast. They are simply superior (IMHO) to Godaddy for hosting.

Back