What Are You Willing to Do to Make It?

When I first started in this business 26 years ago I had a manager who literally would do anything to make it in the business. He would lie, cheat, and steal. Not a good role model!

When I first started in this business 26 years ago I had a manager who literally would do anything to make it in the business. He would lie, cheat, and steal. Not a good role model!

When I started out 10 years ago with NASE/MEGA, lie/cheat/steal was their motto. After 6 months the Kool Aid wore off and I booked but ended up at NAA who turns out had the same motto. They did it more to agents than clients. You have to be independent to do the right thing.

I'll sell anyone's soul to make it!

I'd sell mine, but the Devil asked for a refund years ago.

" what are you willing to do to make it?"....great question!
Heres what comes to my simple mind......
I was Scuba Diving in 110 ft of water in The Philippines when I was a Marine many light years ago...
My regulator failed...my backup crapped out as well
No air...my buddy is 100 yards away...I then see Hammerhead sharks...a big wolf pack of them....wow
I make the decision...'Im not going to panic and Im not going to die' I start going up....way to fast...I dont care I want to live!! Im a Marine and I can make it...I drop my tank...
I keep going...I dont care about the bends..I dont care about the sharks...I dont care about anything except I want air.....I start rocketing up as fast as I can....I feel something holding me back...then even more weight on my legs...I just keep going I can see brightness now...my lungs are going to explode....I will not die...screw the bends and the sharks and whatever else God will throw at me....I want to live...
I rocket out of the water at 50 miles per hour screaming!!
" I F*****g made it".....instantly my 2 bros come up under me.....screaming to stop....they saw me in distress...they both grabbed my flippers to slow me down so my I did not get the bends when I came up....I pulled 500 pounds worth of Marines and equipment [as well as myself] 100 ft straight up with no air....thats how bad I want it....I want to live....
as I now have goose bumps...I want to live...Nothing and I mean Nothing will stop me...I will kill to be successful...
thats what it takes...Now GO LOUD! and get some!
Chris Soper 908-477-7336 NJ

I was Scuba Diving in 110 ft of water in The Philippines when I was a Marine many light years ago...
No air...my buddy is 100 yards away...I then see Hammerhead sharks...a big wolf pack of them....wow
I make the decision...'Im not going to panic and Im not going to die' I start going up....way to fast...I dont care I want to live!! Im a Marine and I can make it...I drop my tank...
I keep going...I dont care about the bends..I dont care about the sharks...I dont care about anything except I want air.....I start rocketing up as fast as I can....I feel something holding me back...then even more weight on my legs...I just keep going I can see brightness now...my lungs are going to explode....I will not die...screw the bends and the sharks and whatever else God will throw at me....I want to live...
" I F*****g made it".....instantly my 2 bros come up under me.....screaming to stop....they saw me in distress...they both grabbed my flippers to slow me down so my I did not get the bends when I came up....I pulled 500 pounds worth of Marines and equipment [as well as myself] 100 ft straight up with no air....thats how bad I want it....I want to live....
as I now have goose bumps...I want to live...Nothing and I mean Nothing will stop me...I will kill to be successful...

Inspiring story devil dog! The correlation here is we need to find strength deep within us both in life and in business to be successful. Well done...ewe rah!!

Inspiring story devil dog! The correlation here is we need to find strength deep within us both in life and in business to be successful. Well done...ewe rah!!

Over twenty years ago I was part of a start up business. From that entrepenuer I learned that you cannot take no for an answer. Somehow some way you have to figure out a way around the obstacle or problem. You can never, never give up. You cannot accept defeat. If you will keep working at the problem you will find a way to succeed. Later when I started my own business that was the way it was. If I had been working for someone else and hadn't had that experience there were many times and situations where I would have given up. But in those times I kept working at things and eventually find a way to make it work or to escape to fight another day.

That is what Mark and everyone else on here are saying. If you will accept failure as an option you will fail. If you will do whatever it takes to succeed and I mean morally and ethically you can and will make it in this business.

Over twenty years ago I was part of a start up business. From that entrepenuer I learned that you cannot take no for an answer. Somehow some way you have to figure out a way around the obstacle or problem. You can never, never give up. You cannot accept defeat. If you will keep working at the problem you will find a way to succeed. Later when I started my own business that was the way it was. If I had been working for someone else and hadn't had that experience there were many times and situations where I would have given up. But in those times I kept working at things and eventually find a way to make it work or to escape to fight another day.

That is what Mark and everyone else on here are saying. If you will accept failure as an option you will fail. If you will do whatever it takes to succeed and I mean morally and ethically you can and will make it in this business.
I would season that with something I learned in 1980 from my first manager. He always had a way of getting concessions and favors from the HO. I asked him how he was able to do that, as well as always being able to get clients to see his points of view. He said it was due to two simple rules:

1. Don't fight battles that you know you can't win.

2. Don't fight battles that aren't worth winning even if you could.

In other words, pick your fights. Be willing to admit when a strategy isn't worth the cost. Keep an open mind, but don't let it be so open that everything falls out or so open that everything gets in. Knowledge is great but wisdom is knowing what to do with the knowledge.

I would season that with something I learned in 1980 from my first manager. He always had a way of getting concessions and favors from the HO. I asked him how he was able to do that, as well as always being able to get clients to see his points of view. He said it was due to two simple rules:

1. Don't fight battles that you know you can't win.

2. Don't fight battles that aren't worth winning even if you could.

In other words, pick your fights. Be willing to admit when a strategy isn't worth the cost. Keep an open mind, but don't let it be so open that everything falls out or so open that everything gets in. Knowledge is great but wisdom is knowing what to do with the knowledge.

I totally agree. An experienced, professional agent should know, in a relatively short amount of time, whether or not an individual prospect can be sold.

Some companies teach their agents to "not get up from the table until they get a signed app". They are rude, obnoxious, pushy and demanding. That is not the kind of agent who is going to be successful in this business.

When they can't be "sold", for what ever reason, there is no logical reason for me to spend a whole lot of time with them. That is not "failing" it is making well-informed, intelligent decisions based on years of experience.

By not being "pushy" it gives me the opportunity to contact them again at a later date.

.....Some companies teach their agents to "not get up from the table until they get a signed app". They are rude, obnoxious, pushy and demanding. That is not the kind of agent who is going to be successful in this business.......

I totally agree. When I talk about never giving up I do not mean with a prospect who doesn't want to buy. Trying to ram things down people's throat is the last thing we should do. What I am talking about is never quitting until we have done what it takes to be with enough of the right kind of prospects with the right products with enough sales. Everyone of us is capable of doing that but very few of us are willing to do what it takes to do that.

Back