Who Sells in NY?

andy6479

I have a client in FL, whose son is going to school in NY. He wants health insurance for his son. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Good luck. The NY individual market is virtually non-existent, best case scenario is for him to have his son on his insurance.

Good luck. The NY individual market is virtually non-existent, best case scenario is for him to have his son on his insurance.

^

Or buy the crappy insurance the school probably offers. My brother lives in New York....the premiums for one person were around $1000/month for a pretty average plan and I believe they were all HMO's.

That's an excellent point. Upstate he might be able to find something for $500/month.

Thanks for the comments so far. I am new to health, mostly doing life previously. If he was just added to his father's coverage it would be accepted in NY? Or would everything be considered out of network if looking at a ppo?

Thanks

Thanks for the comments so far. I am new to health, mostly doing life previously. If he was just added to his father's coverage it would be accepted in NY? Or would everything be considered out of network if looking at a ppo?

Thanks

Totally depends on the carrier. If they have a national network then they would most likely have a network in NY, but you can always check.

I had a client this week tell me his daughter was required to take the insurance from her college in MA. He lives in NY. He was telling me the college wouldn't let her stay on his plan from NY.

Anyway, it worked out cheaper for him in the end to have her get the college insurance - just thought that was an interesting situation.

To the original question - it's probably cheaper to maintain his health coverage via Florida than to get new coverage in NY. If the son now resides in NY, he probably has no income as a college student and could then qualify for state assistance. Have him look into "Healthy NY." I have not explored this particular type of situation though, so I may be wrong.

^

Or buy the crappy insurance the school probably offers. My brother lives in New York....the premiums for one person were around $1000/month for a pretty average plan and I believe they were all HMO's.

You are correct, Healthy NY is probably the best bet aside from the schools umbrella coverage and it's about 1/3 of the cost of what he would normally pay direct to carrier, below is the link:

Healthy NY: Welcome to Healthy NY (Home Page - English)

It may not be beneficial or possible to keep him on the insurance in FL while he's in NY, many carriers in NY are NOT in FL so he may not have coverage up here.

I had a client this week tell me his daughter was required to take the insurance from her college in MA. He lives in NY. He was telling me the college wouldn't let her stay on his plan from NY.

Anyway, it worked out cheaper for him in the end to have her get the college insurance - just thought that was an interesting situation.

To the original question - it's probably cheaper to maintain his health coverage via Florida than to get new coverage in NY. If the son now resides in NY, he probably has no income as a college student and could then qualify for state assistance. Have him look into "Healthy NY." I have not explored this particular type of situation though, so I may be wrong.

Based on these qualifications http://www.ins.state.ny.us/website2/hny/english/hnyeci_sole.pdf I have a hard time believing he would be eligible. Even if he was, the premiums are still fairly high. The best bet would be the college health plan and the next best bet would be to be on daddy's insurance if it has a network up there OR if they'll pay claims up there without a network, which most plans have a way of handling.

Back