Who Sells Individul Dental?

My clients like Assurant dental especially coupled with a discount. The Intermediate Plan is $26.50 per month for $1,000 benefit and the Plus Plan is $35.40 per month (depending on age) for $1,500 benefit. I've never been all that impressed with dental plans either, however, many times that's the first thing people ask for: "Got dental?" There have been times I've tried to talk a person out of it but they insist.

In working in employee benefits I talked to a lady that was walking to work and she had three children. She insisted she just had to have a dental plan. I was able to convince her she really needed life insurance as a single parent. She wanted to spend $75/mo. on dental. I absolutely would not let her. She needed groceries is what she needed.

So mary assurants dental plan pays 20-45% commission? who gets 20% an who gets 45%?It looks like the client has to file the claim forms themselves? that looks like a pain in butt for uneducated fe type clients.

Assurant's supplemental products pay from 20% to 45%+ depending on what you write. (Accident plans are 40% and Cancer/Heart/Stroke is higher.) The dental plan was 35% and now it is 25%, I think.

It depends on the dentist office if the client has to pay upfront and file their own claim, or not. Some dentist will file the claim for them. They have to ask before they go in if they will file the claim, or not. Any dental plan is a pain for the typical FE client; even paying the discounted rates as they have to pay some out of pocket.

By going to a Careington dentist (and yes, there is a directory) they will get 20-60% off plus what Assurant pays. In the town I am in (a suburb of Dallas) there are dozens of the best dentists on Careington. This coupled with the portion Assurant pays is very helpful.

Last edited:
I still don't quite get it. $300 a year for a $1,000 benefit. I guess it might save a few bucks but not as much as just negotiating with the dentist and avoiding the $300 premium.

However, I have clients that insist on a plan and in that case I just refer them to a www.dental4all.com. I let them buy a plan without my help and I will get paid a commission.

I still prefer a $100/yr benefit that simply gives the family access to PPO rates if they can't negotiate on their own.

Wouldn't a FE client be better served (if at all) by a $10-12 month DHMO? They're looking for cheap anyway and there is nothing cheaper than an HMO dentist.

Rick

I love the Assurant dental, because it's an ANY dentist plan.
I mostly write it with an OFF exchange ACA plan (competitive in FL), and they get 30% off the price for life of the policy.
You get back up to $200 a year, just for cleanings.

With the 30% premium discount, plus the $200 in return, clients can have an actual dental insurance plan that pays for major claims up to $1500 for as little as $20/mo, some get it for free (depends on age). They lose money on some of them believe it or not.

Believe me, I hate dental insurance too, but when you have these stars line up above, it makes more sense than a discount plan

MaryDallas,

Is the Careington discount network inclusion in the Assurant Dental plans only available in certain states? I can't find any reference to it for Colorado where I do most of my business. It would seem that the addition of dental discounts makes an indemnity plan such as Assurant's substantially more valuable. Thanks.

Chris

My clients who went from dental insurance not covering the dental services they needed to Ameriplan saving them from 15% to 80% on procedures (which I have also experienced personally) don't see it as a problem. Research them all and see what fits for your clientele.

When ever I see "savings of 15 to 80%", the reality is, the savings is always closer to 15%.
Anyone that needs a root canal, crown or bridge is likely to see the -15% savings.
In all likelihood, you probably could have gone to the same dentist, and, said to the dentist, " I don't have any insurance and will pay you cash. What kind of discount will you give me", and, gotten better than 15% off the bill.

Back