Who to Work For?

1) Colonial and Aflac among others have offices where the "opportunity" exist to conduct "enrollments" on somebody else's already established account but like @Vol says those are "beggars" position that can be kicked from under you at any moment.

2) If your goal is to be in business long term, w/o the "stink" of prospecting it's gonna cost some money.
You can buy your way out of service, just like a rich man's kid can avoid getting the their hands dirty, as long as the cash doesn't run out.

McDonald's spends money on ads (as a barrier to entry to others) so they can keep selling a lower quality burger....Tito's tacos in West LA has a line from open to close cause somebody got their hands dirty, both work.

As a business owner, I prefer to employ "enrollers" cause birds that don't learn how fly are stuck being my worker bees vs learning how to eat away at my market share.

If you were my daughter I'd say learn how to fly, while you have the to luxury of your bf "holding" down to fort.

Forget about spending hours upon hours researching by book, go touch and FIND clients.
I can teach any 16-17 y.o. high school JR. how to "enroll" a client or how to explain concepts...your value comes in FINDING clients.

Contrary to popular belief most schmucks can get outta high school and get a state driver's. insurance or real estate license but we know most ppl can't drive worth 'a zhit....and too many insurance and r/e folks think their EDUCATION sets them apart from being a "car salesmen".

Think again, at least his customers come to the lot.(cause they spend money to get 'em there)
If you truly find that you detest dealing with prospects, there are "other" things one can do with an insurance license.

But right now, all you've got is a license to run a business and customers don't know you exist...... so either you find 'em, buy 'em or "work" for someone who does...you're lucky cause you don't have to make a bad decision based on money cause your bf is providing the basics, so take your time and get it right, sister.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Wait a minute, if you hate prospecting then any job in sales is not for you.

It doesn't matter if there's a few Aflac agents to compete with or the thousands of other insurance agents in every market, or the thousands of real estate agents, cell phone salespeople, or whatever other field.

Its all about prospecting.

You can't do financial services or real estate or anything without clients and customers. And those only come by prospecting.

If you don't want to prospect, then basically you're looking at some staff job in those industries - which is fine if that's who you are. But if so, then don't waste time hoping to get trained in insurance and somehow provide a livable income for yourself without a lot of pain. Just cut your losses early.

DecisionMan is right. Prospecting is the name of the game.

I think Golfnut must know more about golf than insurance.
::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Great 7751st post!!!
Back to the original post. You may want to look at AGLA if you have one in your area. I worked there after college in 1986 and at that time they gave you a debit book which I had to collect but it also got me in front of people. After I got tired of collecting and felt I could prospect better I went to New York Life then independent in 1991.

Last edited:
Colonial Life - Crappy training like AFLAC
Waddell and Reed - Unsure
Coldwall Bankers - Unsure
Bankers Life and Casualty - DO NOT DO THIS ONE. THEY ARE TERRIBLE!! I worked for for a while, its just a sweatshop.
Farmers - Not a bad gig but you are not even close to being able to handle it. no offense or anything but its not like these other ones.

**Google "Independent Insurance Agent (your zip code)" and call them. If one of them gives you a shot, that would be your best bet.

Hope this helps! :)

I will second these opinions. Bankers Life is a horror story a minute if you ever talk to those who work, or have worked for them. Waddell and Reed, I have heard mixed things about them, but these are from people who have them as a policy provider, not employees. Farmers is a great company, definitely the most solid gig on the list. However, you will be thrown into the fire with them so be careful not bite off more than you can chew. His advice on searching is on point too. Use google to look up local insurance firms/dealers, and go from there. Goodluck!

I will second these opinions. Bankers Life is a horror story a minute if you ever talk to those who work, or have worked for them. Waddell and Reed, I have heard mixed things about them, but these are from people who have them as a policy provider, not employees. Farmers is a great company, definitely the most solid gig on the list. However, you will be thrown into the fire with them so be careful not bite off more than you can chew. His advice on searching is on point too. Use google to look up local insurance firms/dealers, and go from there. Goodluck!

Yea any company that keeps calling after you turned down 3 or 4 interviews is really fishing for people.

Farmers Insurance offers everyone their own office. BUT, I've worked as an agency owner for the past year and 2 years prior to that as a producer for them and really like it. It's a good opportunity if you're ready for it but it's NOTHING like the other companies you listed.

And again, don't be suckered in by any company just because they offer you your own office or tell you you're going to be your own boss...this should be a given since these jobs are 100% commission.

Good luck to you, whichever path you choose.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Out of those 11-12 "agents" I would say only 1-2 will be with the company after 6 months.

I agree with Steve...happens all the time.

Last edited:
Benefits For America said:
I suggest Colorado Bankers Life Insurance Company. They offer a variety of unique benefits that fit into the individual sale and they also work great for worksite enrollments with their ability to be set up on payroll deductions. Fast application and jet-issue processing. No swabbing, no needles, no exams. Simplified issue makes this our top carrier. Fax your business tonight, see an EFT in your bank account in 24-48 hours. Policies can be delivered right to the insured. No spending your valuable time delivering policies. Call me for more info. Laura McMullen 334-707-2998 or [email protected]

Here she goes again spamming the forum.

Spam.

::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Great 7751st post!!!
Back to the original post. You may want to look at AGLA if you have one in your area. I worked there after college in 1986 and at that time they gave you a debit book which I had to collect but it also got me in front of people. After I got tired of collecting and felt I could prospect better I went to New York Life then independent in 1991.

I take the posts anyway I can get them. How is this for number 7951?

Back