Why Do Suzie Orman and Dave Ramsey Trash WL So Much?

My world wouldn't be. His radio show was somewhat eye-opening. Helped me get out of debt. Perfect advice? No. Motivating? Yes.

I'm with you.

As to the taking on loans to open $500k restaurants or any business for that matter. Most people don't have the discipline to start small and progress upwards. Most people could start a $50-$100k business with no loan. Build it up sell it for more, you do that a couple of times and you can cash flow a start up of the $500k biz. The only business debt I've ever taken on is real estate and I would never recommend someone overextend themselves to open a business...short term financing like a couple of months..sure..long term SBA loans (aside for real estate) never.

This is all counter to the immediate gratification that our society promotes. Which I think is 1 of the biggest things DR, live like no one else and all that jazz...

At the end of the day debt is risk...to each their own.

Yeah, like how he said one day to never borrow money to start a business.

That's one of the stupidest pieces of "advice" I've ever heard. 90% of the restaurants in my town that are thriving (and employing hundreds) would never have opened if the owners had to save $500K or $750K to start 'em up.

Stupid...

If you have enough money to start a business you probably don't need a business. Who has the $750k plus need to start a lot of businesses? Do you think Ramsey defer heard about rusk/reward.

Can you elaborate a little for me?

Dave preaches 12% ROI in mutual funds, and you can safely withdraw 8% at retirement. He does because it makes his system look better. A guy from Lynch a few years back said one could withdraw 7% and that was shown to be too high. Most people agree 10% ROI, 5% withdraw is the most accurate.

Dave preaches 12% ROI in mutual funds, and you can safely withdraw 8% at retirement. He does because it makes his system look better. A guy from Lynch a few years back said one could withdraw 7% and that was shown to be too high. Most people agree 10% ROI, 5% withdraw is the most accurate.

I wouldn't even go that high. 2008 wiped out 50% of most people's portfolios... AND if they had to take out income???

If your portfolio goes down 50%... what rate of return would you need to get back to where you were?

In other words, you had $100,000 (to keep the math easy) and you lost 50%. You now have $50,000.

What rate of return do you need to get back to $100,000?

100%

I'd love to assume 10% per year... and if a client wants to assume that, I won't stop them. But I also know it's not that reasonable itself.

For withdrawal rates, I wouldn't go any higher than 5%... and hopefully, we can have that guaranteed and secured by an annuity.

Now, don't forget portfolio management fees. Generally about 2% of your returns (and losses) are going to be affected by about 2% per year.

So, if you earned 10%... what you'll really get is 8%.

If you lost 10%, you'll actually lose 12%.

This goes on for as long as you have your money in these kinds of wealth management "portfolios".

No 'fees' in an index annuity... except for perhaps a lifetime income rider fee each year.

I have a life insurance illustration that is my "This is why Suze & Dave hates life insurance" illustration because it is a 'minimally funded' permanent life policy. I'll show them exactly why it doesn't look good and get the client to agree with me. Then I show them how *I* structure life insurance policies so that the client can get the most out of it from year one and for as long as they are alive.

I wouldn't even go that high. 2008 wiped out 50% of most people's portfolios... AND if they had to take out income???

If your portfolio goes down 50%... what rate of return would you need to get back to where you were?

In other words, you had $100,000 (to keep the math easy) and you lost 50%. You now have $50,000.

What rate of return do you need to get back to $100,000?

100%

I'd love to assume 10% per year... and if a client wants to assume that, I won't stop them. But I also know it's not that reasonable itself.

For withdrawal rates, I wouldn't go any higher than 5%... and hopefully, we can have that guaranteed and secured by an annuity.

Now, don't forget portfolio management fees. Generally about 2% of your returns (and losses) are going to be affected by about 2% per year.

So, if you earned 10%... what you'll really get is 8%.

If you lost 10%, you'll actually lose 12%.

This goes on for as long as you have your money in these kinds of wealth management "portfolios".

No 'fees' in an index annuity... except for perhaps a lifetime income rider fee each year.

I have a life insurance illustration that is my "This is why Suze & Dave hates life insurance" illustration because it is a 'minimally funded' permanent life policy. I'll show them exactly why it doesn't look good and get the client to agree with me. Then I show them how *I* structure life insurance policies so that the client can get the most out of it from year one and for as long as they are alive.

Nice post, in my F.A. days compliance made us use eight and four. I know Buffet said 7% was about the best one can get.

Latest posts

Back