Why Purchase Medsups ???

My impression of those who push MA plans is they really don't have enough experience in the health insurance side to truly understand what can happen on the claim side.

The MA is not anything at all like what most people have been accustomed to (copay's, deductibles, networks). Not even close.

Of course you don't have to hit your OOP to make the MA plan more expensive than a gap plan.

What I really loathe in MA peddlers are the ones that sell the $0 premium plans and then come back and load up their client with hospital indemnity, cancer, heart-stroke plans, etc.

I replace a few of those each year, usually with plan N. Would replace more than that if the people could pass underwriting.

That's usually when they call. They have an MA plan they can't afford any more.

I know the tricks the MA peddlers use. See them every day. But they think folks who sell Medigap are the only ones that lie about what could happen.

Oh, and SKJ, don't presume you know me or what I know about this industry, because you will be dead wrong.

I never said that I presumed to know you. I simply stated the obvious from your post. If you think any agent could sell 3 MAPD's from 3 different companies, to one person..... then you obviously dont't sell MA>

Thank you Vic for adding another word that has more than one spelling and is often used improperly. Don't see that one much.

Course...coarse. There...their...they're. Your...you're, etc. ;)

Don't forget then and than.

----------

I never said that I presumed to know you. I simply stated the obvious from your post. If you think any agent could sell 3 MAPD's from 3 different companies, to one person..... then you obviously dont't sell MA>

I know Somarco personally and I assure you he doesn't think a person can have 3 MA plans. He knows the rules. It was sarcasm. Hard to pick up sometimes in the written word.

Ah...based on what i'm told by United, Humana, and other agents, MA in my area, the HMO network HERE is a better bang for the buck.

Where are you?

If you base your recommendations on what others in this industry tell you, especially insurers and IMOs, then you will be wrong more than you are right.

Do your own due diligence. Run the numbers yourself. Recommend what YOU believe in, not what others tell you to.

I do sell both, not just MA. I explain everything to them. I explain that if they ever want to switch to a supp, there will be underwriting. In my area, UHC/AARP only has two underwriting questions. Have you been hospitalized in the past 90 days and are there any surgeries requested by your doc that you have not had. If they can answer no to both, it is GI. I point out that if they get into a situation where they need major surgery, they will be turned down for the supp. Then I leave the choice up to them. Some people are very risk averse and elect to go with the supp. I write them up. Some feel they are healthy enough and go for the MA. I write them up. I leave it up to them, but only after I have educated them on both options.

Those two questions (in most states) have about a dozen questions embedded in them, though. The one that usually trips me up is the one about whether the beneficiary has discussed as a treatment option something they may soon need, like a knee replacement etc.

And, if they pass those "two" questions, the much more extensive rating questions may pop them up into the sky-high premiums if they're 68 or over.

Those two questions (in most states) have about a dozen questions embedded in them, though. The one that usually trips me up is the one about whether the beneficiary has discussed as a treatment option something they may soon need, like a knee replacement etc.

And, if they pass those "two" questions, the much more extensive rating questions may pop them up into the sky-high premiums if they're 68 or over.

Is it 68 or over or having had Part B more than 3 years?

2 of them used to be my father until they were Bruce Jennered. Rick

At what point does Bruce get the lower female rates on his Med Sup.

That's my new discount.

Your quote is $165 per month Mr Smith or $140 if you take advantage of our post-op discount. Sign here.

And Los Angeles is 40% MA. If someone wants a zero premium, zero copay I'll take care of it.

That leaves 60% potential for Medigap.

Seriously, you jump me every time I make a broad statement about MA peddlers, and rightly so. As you have pointed out, each area is different.

90% or more of my clients are 50+ miles away, mostly in rural areas where the MA choices are limited and networks skinny. Some have medical issues and don't want to change docs or hospitals.

Medigap is perfect for them, and many buy plan N. They are also free to match the Rx plan with their needs vs taking whatever is paired with the MAPD offering.

Different markets. Different approach.

Do your own due diligence. Run the numbers yourself. Recommend what YOU believe in, not what others tell you to.

Reagan said, "Trust, but verify".

Back