Will CMS Call a MAPD Client?

I did have one or two clients in the past tell me they got a call from CMS or the carrier asking questions about initial contact.I have enrolled a couple of thousand or so in MA plans over the last 8 years so maybe it's just a small random sample they make these calls too or maybe it was because at the time I was writing such a volume of business that i got flagged as someone they should audit.

From what i see in the field from unethical agents it must be easy to get away with breaking marketing rules that is until you get a complaint and then they will ask you all about how you made initial contact.So the best policy is too do every enrollment knowing you would have no problem honestly responding to the 20 to 30 questions you may be asked by the carrier about your encounter with the client.

How do you service a book of business with thousands of clients in it? Monthly newsletter? Birthday cards?

I did have one or two clients in the past tell me they got a call from CMS or the carrier asking questions about initial contact.I have enrolled a couple of thousand or so in MA plans over the last 8 years so maybe it's just a small random sample they make these calls too or maybe it was because at the time I was writing such a volume of business that i got flagged as someone they should audit.

From what i see in the field from unethical agents it must be easy to get away with breaking marketing rules that is until you get a complaint and then they will ask you all about how you made initial contact.So the best policy is too do every enrollment knowing you would have no problem honestly responding to the 20 to 30 questions you may be asked by the carrier about your encounter with the client.
What was/is your M/O for acquiring so many clients?

What was/is your M/O for acquiring so many clients?

I have been in the business 23 years mostly as an independent then worked at Humana a few years starting in 2002 when they were the only Medicare + Choice option in North Florida so in 2006 when MA started and suddenly there was many more options available in North Fl I left Humana and took about 1000 clients with me.between 2006-2008 I was a cold calling cross selling machine until MIPPA was introduced.Now I depend on the 3 to 5 referrals I get weekly and from leads I generate by calling my book of business for service calls but with the underlying agenda of beating the drum to let my clients know I can also help there husband, wife,sister,brother,mother,cousin,aunt,uncle , classmate,golf partner,fishing buddy, priest, etc......I find that calling the recent T65 woman I enrolled are much more in tune with who of their friends or classmates who are also T65

When things get slow I put my Medicare.Gov button on one lapel and my " Medicare Approved Life Insurance Navigator " on the other lapel and go door to door in SEP laden Hud housing and trailer parks carrying an official looking clipboard and telling folks that the government sent me here today to tell you that they recommend for you to take " Advantage " of this program that your government is already paying the insurance company for so you can have free insurance with free drug coverage and free rides to your free doctor visits. - just kidding!

I have been in the business 23 years mostly as an independent then worked at Humana a few years starting in 2002 when they were the only Medicare + Choice option in North Florida so in 2006 when MA started and suddenly there was many more options available in North Fl I left Humana and took about 1000 clients with me.between 2006-2008 I was a cold calling cross selling machine until MIPPA was introduced.Now I depend on the 3 to 5 referrals I get weekly and from leads I generate by calling my book of business for service calls but with the underlying agenda of beating the drum to let my clients know I can also help there husband, wife,sister,brother,mother,cousin,aunt,uncle , classmate,golf partner,fishing buddy, priest, etc......I find that calling the recent T65 woman I enrolled are much more in tune with who of their friends or classmates who are also T65

When things get slow I put my Medicare.Gov button on one lapel and my " Medicare Approved Life Insurance Navigator " on the other lapel and go door to door in SEP laden Hud housing and trailer parks carrying an official looking clipboard and telling folks that the government sent me here today to tell you that they recommend for you to take " Advantage " of this program that your government is already paying the insurance company for so you can have free insurance with free drug coverage and free rides to your free doctor visits. - just kidding!
Well thanks for the explanation. Im in SW FL. if I were closer I sure would like to learn from you. lol...

I see you have a sense of humor as well. Imagine how nice it would be if we could do that? haha

Last edited:
Back