Working the FE Leads.

Well JD is obviously the magician of FE leads. Getting 15 a week and booking 12 appointments in just 2 days. Let's face it it's not that easy for most. Also 6 appts in one day? With travel time this sounds like each is about an hour long appointment on average. I find rushed sales to have very low persistency - and 6 in one day does sound a little rushed to me (unless everyone in conveniently lined up in the same neighborhood - and seeing he's in Kentucky I find that unlikely) and you are really disciplined in getting in and out of the house. (I would also carry a spare pack of hearing aide batteries so you don't have to repeat yourself - just in case the prospect is out).

Also, I never said this wasn't a great living to make if the numbers are true....but compare that to other more lucrative markets such as one I work in. I don't like to run more than 2 appointments in a day. 3 Tops. Rarely on the weekends. So that's 10-12 week max. If i have a week with only 5 appointments booked I don't sweat it. There likely A LOT of gold right there, and if I go prepared I'll find a fastball down the middle to hit in those five appointments for at least a 5k sale. When you are getting rollovers, flow, and UL sales it's easy to pull 10k-20k weeks. Now my activity will drop alot in the summer but when you are feasting during the 'seasons' it doesn't matter. You can focus on fewer clients and make a lot more money. The paperwork still sucks but it probably beats having to do 300 apps a year.

I would also question with this type of production JD why would you ever set your own appointments (or do your own paperwork for that matter)!? Your phone script seemed very simple to me and that sure wouldn't be hard teach someone to do (verbatim) with a little bit of training. And scrubbing apps is a job you can pay anyone to do for 10 bucks an hour. Then you could spend another day (or two) in the field (which you like so much) and run another 6 appointments or so and make 1/3 more money (minus the telemarketer's fees-nominal)

Those are just my random thoughts, but hey, to each his own!

I make my own appontments because I like to do it that way. I'm already paying for the leads and I don't want to pay someone to book appointments. I also do not want to be in the field more than 2 days a week. I think that leads to burnout if you do nothing but run appointments.

My appointments are set and hour and a half apart. They are always in the same area. Most FE agents set ther appointments one hour apart. I like to spend more time with the clients. My warm up is 15 minutes before I even do a presentation. My presetation is about 15 to 20 minutes. That leave plenty of time for questions and small talk and application taking. I cannot do it in an hour and a half if there is a husband and wife and they both buy. Especially if we have to do phone interviews. I will usually get ahead somewhere along the line and get to one or two early. Then if I run over I won't be too late to my next one.

I am not always able to get 12 appointments in a week. I said I averaged 10 per week last year. Nor can I get 10 to 12 appointment out of 15 leads in a new area. If I were to get 15 leads this Sat. in a county I have never worked, I would not be able to set 10-12 appointments there next week. When you get 15 each and every week you build an inventory. One couple I met with today was from a lead I got almost 6 months ago. Yesterday was the first time I've been able to contact them. I also get many referrals I had an appointment today with a gy that called me because I was recommended to him by one of my clients.

You obviously do not work the FE market. That's what this thread is about. It's even the title.

As far as persistancy, my 13 month is 89% with my primary company. And as far as it being "easy", it's not and I have never it was. I'm not a marketer and I'm not a recruiter. I don't blow that "easy" smoke at people. In fact everyone that has contacted by pm will tell you that I say it's hard work and they should only get with EFES if they are willing to work hard and make FE their fulltime occupation. The marketers will tell you that anyone can do this. That's just simply not true.

As far as my number being "true", I don't give a **** if you believe it or not. I'm not trying to recruit anyone, so there is no reason to make up numbers. Anyone contracted with EFES can see my numbers. They put up weekly, monthly and year to date numbers for premium and applications.

I don't even track my numbers. I just look at the EFES leaderboard. That's why I didn't answer the person that asked me how many calls I make to get 6 appointments. I don't know. I don't track calls. I call until I have my day set. If it takes 6 calls or 600 I don't know, or care.

There is one number that EFES tracks that is important to me. It's the weekly streak of at least $2000 ap submitted business. This week makes 96 consecutive weeks for me on that list. That is the one I am most proud of and will brag about. And, I'm not the leader on that. One guy has 110 weeks.

No need to get so testy ;) Though being afraid of 'burnout' sounds like a suspect reason to not do something you claimed to love so much (being in the field). I also think your rationale behind not hiring an apt setter is a bit flawed. But I digress.
See,
I wasn't even commenting to your claims as I was defending my "it's a grind statement". Maybe you should just start posting a link to the leaderboard so we can all gaze at it in amazement. That is, if you can tear your own eyes off it for a minute?

Last edited:
No need to get so testy ;)
I wasn't even commenting to your claims as I was defending my "it's a grind statement". Maybe you should just start posting a link to the leaderboard so we can all gaze at it in amazement. That is, if you can tear your own eyes off it for a minute?

Lame. Sad really.

No need to get so testy ;) Though being afraid of 'burnout' sounds like a suspect reason to not do something you claimed to love so much (being in the field). I also think your rationale behind not hiring an apt setter is a bit flawed. But I digress.
See,

Look dude, you came into a thread about something you know nothing about and tried to say how much better you are than anyone else and how I should do it your way.

You are a pompopus ass. That's not testy, that's just a fact. You can't do appointments in an hour and a half and have them stay on the books. Well, good for you. I'm glad that I'm not as anal as you or mine wouldn't stay either.

I've pm'ed JD several times and I believe 100% everything he has stated. I really dont' think its that hard to set 10 appointments if you have a retrun mailer. I'm just starting to concentrate on FE but I use to sell living trust the same way JD is selling....set apps one day call on them the next.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No need to get so testy ;) Though being afraid of 'burnout' sounds like a suspect reason to not do something you claimed to love so much

Everybody driving hard will expierence burnout. I've been in the painting biz for almost 20 years and hit the burnout period every November at seasons end. I then have 3 months to rest my mind....thats when I sell insurance. If I were full time selling ins.; I would prob work a 4 day week because there is no season's end to selling ins. Doesn't matter how much money you make you will hit a breaking point. A nice winter break kept Cal Ripkin from "Burnout."

Last edited:
No need to get so testy
I wasn't even commenting to your claims as I was defending my "it's a grind statement". Maybe you should just start posting a link to the leaderboard so we can all gaze at it in amazement.

The difference is NO one has to question JD because he isn't selling anything, unlike.... well you know who.

The good news is you won't be around to much longer to spam us with your ground breaking 403b system.
A system that is so good that you don't even use it anymore.
Sorry dude spammers never last.

I wish I could change my name to just two initials like 'JD' but my name doesn't work. I think it sounds better saying, "Hi this is JD" rather than his full name. Then again if my name was Johnny Depp, I might just introduce myself as such because that is one reason chicks dig him. With a name like that your 'scoring average' has to increase exponentially. :1cool:

You could go by "O.B".......;).......or tell me real name and I'll come up with something better for you.

Never pre-qualify- if you set up your appts correctly and in the same resonable radius it only takes 30 minutes of your time-,you're already out, go see them.

Sometimes you'll find its not their health as much as them not having a checking acct

I'd only pre qualify if its a referral and more than 30 miles outta my way

JD, I guess after a 15 minute warm up, you get to the presentation? Is your presentation anything like Jody Haworth from finalexpense101.com? Do you use a laptop in the home, or do your calculations by hand? I'm playing catchup, I started blindly with out doing thorough research. Contracted with PHR, found out there are better contracts but that's ok. I just need to learn the business and do it the way the successful agents do it. I don't mind the cold calling and love F2F work, I just need to find interested people and get in front of them, the sales will follow. I need a great lead source and a great selling system. Contracted with American Am, Forresters, UHL, Oxford and National Guardian for my hard to place cases. 10k per month should be realistic. Who is your lead source, JD?

Last edited:
Back