Would any Medd supp. company underwrite someone in nursing home?

Again, "nursing home patients" (or residents) aren't the same as SNF patients, who are only in the facility for a few weeks at most, normally less than 3 weeks.

I also didn't say anything about their willingness to enroll. I said that Skilled Nursing Facilities are the most likely providers (in my experience, which goes back to 06) to disparage MA and to tell the patient that they should disenroll and go back to Original Medicare. The conversation won't come up in a nursing home (long term care facility) because Medicare doesn't pay for that care.

Many nursing home patients are or will eventually be on SNP plans too, and are dual eligible. Somebody who is on Medicaid or probably will be on it sooner than later (in other words, most nursing home patients--the costs deplete one's assets quickly) isn't a real good prospect for a Medigap.

Agreed, as are many beneficiaries arent a good prospect for medigap.

I should have just said again how silly all the med supp vs MAPD is...

The generalizations in this forum are astounding, albeit humorous and fun at times.

This is what I found in UHC Underwriting

Eligibility Underwriting (Sections 4 and 5 of the Enrollment Application) • What if the applicant is in the assisted living section of a nursing facility that has multiple types of units (for example, skilled nursing or custodial)? The applicant is eligible for coverage (as long as all other eligibility requirements are met)

. • What if the applicant is not sure if they are in the main nursing home or the assisted living section? The applicant or their family member can verify this information with the administrative office at the nursing facility. If still uncertain, the applicant should answer “NOT SURE” on the application and the underwriter will follow up to clarify the type of unit.

Back