Insurer Pays Settlement in Buckets of Coins

Just a few thoughts on this. I wonder how the Insurance companies that are contracted with this agency feel about this action, the lawsuit, ext.

So all their clients that see this on the news can now stop by and pay their premiums in coins. Like to see how that could backfire on them. Yes Mam I have $250.00 in pennies in this bucket...I would like a receipt please.:1cute:

I was actually reading up on this, then I followed up by reading about legal tender. Apparently there's still an urban legend that says coins are not legal tender. This is not true, all coins and currency issued by the Treasury Department are legal tender. A merchant may specify in advance which forms of money they will accept (for instance, no bills greater than $20). However if the merchant or business does not state in advance what forms of currency they will accept, they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit to have the debt discharged, on the grounds that valid payment was offered and refused.

It's easy to point fingers at the company, but the reality is that they could have very well been innocent and could prove it, but would spend more than the settlement amount fighting it out in court. I think I would send him coins in that case, too.

I was actually reading up on this, then I followed up Iby reading about legal tender. Apparently there's still an urban legend that says coins are not legal tender. This is not true, all coins and currency issued by the Treasury Department are legal tender. A merchant may specify in advance which forms of money they will accept (for instance, no bills greater than $20). However if the merchant or business does not state in advance what forms of currency they will accept, they are opening themselves up t a lawsuit to have the debt discharged, on the grounds that valid payment was offered and refusekd.

Speaking of accepting "legal tender" brings back a memory. In 1980 I was just out of college and went to work in an insurance agency in Virginia. As normal I had very little money and was trying to make sales to get a cash flow coming in.

I was down to my last bit of money(I had held a $50.00 bill in my wallet for emergencies) Went through a Hardees late at night and paid with that $50 dollar bill. They could not cash it. Gave me the food at no cost. Next day in a Quik Mart I got a coke and a pack of crackers. Paid while I was drinking the coke and eating the crackers. They could not break the Fifty and gave it to me.

Sorry to say but I took advantage of that thought and ate off that Fifty dollar bill for a week. Finally a Mcdonalds broke that Fifty on my order. Funny how much you remember the good times when you were broke and cutting corners.
:embarrassed:

Latest posts

Back