Career change

jh24787

Hello everyone,
I'm considering changing careers and getting licensed to sell insurance. I have no previous background in the business and am researching to figure out the best way to get started. First I must say, I've been reading posts for the past few days and really love the honest opinions folks give, it's refreshing!

Anyway, I've already been called by AFLAC, Bankers Life, and a couple of other companies around Indianapolis wanting to setup interviews. Is there anyone out there in Indiana that can give me a good idea of how to get started and what I can expect in this area of the country? What are some great companies to start out with and to avoid?

As you can imagine I have a lot of questions at this point and look forward to reading your responses.

not in Indiana but I would pretty much avoid any company which took my personal info off the internet from my resume posting (AFLAC and Bankers Life are famous for that)

Would you like a managerial job?

I'll tell you what if you listen to what these guys have to say on this forum, you can't go wrong, there is certainly a wealth of knowledge within in these walls. Personally I've been in the business for about a month now, originally looked into the Life/Health side but ended up going with Property/Casualty, with no previous background in sales or insurance. I'm really glad I made the change because not only can you make a decent living but you have the opportunity to help alot of people protect what is important to themselves and maybe even help them save a buck or two, to me that's what it's all about. I got hooked up with an Allstate Agent and don't regret it in the least, great guy whose been in the business for over 30 years, will be retiring soon so may fall into something even better then I could have imagined. Well good luck in whatever direction you go and like I said these guys have some awesome advice don't be afraid to ask.
Later
Roger

Well JH, I beleive I am in IN. I love the senior market. I do not think you could go wrong starting there. The products are alot easier to understand than major med. Alot less options too. If you are looking to be captive and have leads givin to you then I would look to Great American Senior Benefits. They are about the most competitve captive company in the medicare supplement market.

Then again, if you want to be independent and have the cash flow to buy leads or lists and do your own marketing I would do that. You could sink dfast on your own with no experience though. I am not too far from INDY. One of my FMO's will be doing a seminar there in a couple weeks. Might be good for you to attend. I am getting ready to hire a telemarketer for myself and 1 other person. If it goes good I will be looking for an agent to hire. I could give a good foundation to start and you would not be captive. Regaurdless of what you do I can still help you on your decisions. I have been n the senior market for 5 yrs.

I would be open to a managerial job. I've been in retail management (big box company) as well as management in the tech industry. At this point I want to get as much information as possible to make an informed decision about getting started and not be run through a "people mill". I'm not afraid of hard work and putting in long hours. I am most interested what type of training I should look for or expect when starting out.

You can get some training off this board. I'm not sure if GASB would be a good place for training in IN. I know thier is a Penn life office in Zionsville and the are a career company. If thats what you want. That usually where u get the best training. The only problem with them is that they sell mostly MA(medicare advantage plans) plans and you cant sell them all year long. Physicians Mutual has an office in INDY also. SOmeone else on the board works there in IN. DO you want the senior market?

Thanks Senior advisor. I would be interested in learning more from the FMO. If you wouldn't mind, let me know when the seminar will take place.

Do you have any recommendations on where to go to complete the pre-licensing education requirements or will the self study be sufficient?

I would be open to a managerial job. I've been in retail management (big box company) as well as management in the tech industry. At this point I want to get as much information as possible to make an informed decision about getting started and not be run through a "people mill". I'm not afraid of hard work and putting in long hours. I am most interested what type of training I should look for or expect when starting out.

Woops - you missed my point. Nine times out of 10 a recruiter (AFLAC, Bankers, World Financial Group, Primerica, whatever) will call you and massage you into the "you have a great career ahead of you - we see you in management" - it's just a load of crap.

If you want to see what getting worked is really like, just stop by a WFG office and see what they say. Read their brochures. I swear, something happens to people when they're there - some sort of hypnosis or something.....:goofy:

Latest posts

Back