Direct Mail Increase

I have been a member of this forum for several years and I am still not sure who some of the agents who recruit are affiliated with. Looks like Ben is with EFES, JD and Newby are with FEX, Doug is with 360 and I am not sure where Spur City is rooted. I considered jumping on the fixed priced DM lead program with someone a long time and it was Doug who gave me the chance to get involved. He lets me place a minimum order of 15 leads each week when most of the others wanted 20 or wouldn't even talk when they found out my location. He holds training calls weekly even though I don't attend very many. He does videos. He has reached out to help if needed. I have used the card that says "life insurance" since I started placing orders. The price was $27 and is now $30. Still reasonable enough and I am happy.

I have been a member of this forum for several years and I am still not sure who some of the agents who recruit are affiliated with. Looks like Ben is with EFES, JD and Newby are with FEX, Doug is with 360 and I am not sure where Spur City is rooted. I considered jumping on the fixed priced DM lead program with someone a long time and it was Doug who gave me the chance to get involved. He lets me place a minimum order of 15 leads each week when most of the others wanted 20 or wouldn't even talk when they found out my location. He holds training calls weekly even though I don't attend very many. He does videos. He has reached out to help if needed. I have used the card that says "life insurance" since I started placing orders. The price was $27 and is now $30. Still reasonable enough and I am happy.

Yea Doug is a good dude. Spur is with 360 and One Life. You definitely picked the right up line.

I usually work 20 leads a week and barely get to all of those. I assume the people taking 50 leads are working 5 days? And setting appointments?

I need more of a break than that from our clientele haha

I usually work 20 leads a week and barely get to all of those. I assume the people taking 50 leads are working 5 days? And setting appointments?

50 leads better equal 25-30 presentations and thats a full 5-6 days.

I agree. I get 15 and have a backlog of leads. I couldn't work 50 leads a week if I wanted to.

I agree. I get 15 and have a backlog of leads. I couldn't work 50 leads a week if I wanted to.

I have been on fixed cost for quite a while but prior I was on an automatic mailing schedule. When you go from fluctuating returns to actually getting 20 leads you quickly get back logged
I can't imagine the back log of 50. I would take a local guy and train him and put him at 50%comp to run my leads that got 2 months old.

When you go from fluctuating returns to actually getting 20 leads you quickly get back logged

Agreed, I have 5ish leads a week that sometimes go totally unworked with 20 leads a week. Sometimes that backlog helps cause other weeks you'll burn through leads quick. But who here works 40+ DM leads on a routine basis?

Agreed, I have 5ish leads a week that sometimes go totally unworked with 20 leads a week. Sometimes that backlog helps cause other weeks you'll burn through leads quick. But who here works 40+ DM leads on a routine basis?

There are some agents that run 40+ leads and hit huge numbers. I'm not knocking it at all. What I'm knocking is when an agency posts their agents go on 40-50 per week and then only have 6 of those win a trip. But he still acts as his training is ELITE! Any agent on 40-50 leads BETTER win some company trips to be successful.

But I don't judge an agents success my winning trips. I know of agents putting clients in a bad plan just so they could keep business with the company they were trying to win a trip with.

I worked 45-50 at my peak. 45 DM and some weeks I would order internet leads as filler, which averaged about 5 per week. When you work between 40 and 50 leads you can pretty much eliminate doorknocking if you want to. So you can trade money for the things you don't like to do. Doorknocking in 100° Texas heat is not all that fun for some people.

Sure, I could work 20-25 leads a week and use my extra time to doorknock all week so I can say I touched them all OR I can double my order to 50 and get more appointments and not have to doorknock. In fact, there was a time when I would only order 21 leads per week years ago and I Doorknock ALL of my leads. Didn't make a single call. I won the Americo trip that year on those 21 leads. But I made a lot more money when I bumped it to 50 leads and the bonus was I didn't have to doorknock anymore.

We have a guy on the team that won a trip and door knocks 100% of his leads. He's on 25 leads per week.

We have another guy on the opposite end of the spectrum that just joined us 3 months ago from another organization. He took over Peter's territory, implemented my system and uses one of our very best appt setters. He just won our $1,500 May madness contest. In the last 2 WEEKS of the contest (Semis & Finals) he wrote $31,000 and 38 apps combined. In the semis he ordered 40 leads for the week. For the finals he ordered 50 leads for the week. He worked 6 days a week during the contest. He's going to stay at 50 per week. His previous best week at his former IMO was 11,000. His new best week is $19,564 with us. He works our $30 lead (which is my favorite lead) so his profit margin is still tremendous given he bought 40 & 50 leads a week. And there is no sales tax on his leads like he would be hit with at other IMO's so he came out ahead with us.

90 leads @ $30 each= $2,700 (our lead cost)
90 leads @ $28 each + 8.25 sales tax= $2,728 (competitors lead cost)

He reiterated over some beer this weekend that this is the most he's ever profited in his 9 year life insurance career.

Also we are able to supply him with the amount of leads he's requesting. Been getting calls as of late about some IMO's that are SEVERELY short on their lead oders. Last call I got was an hour ago. Guy orders 30 leads a week and got 2 for this week. Hasn't even come close to getting a full order as of yet. And we won't stop his lead order if he sells a bunch of standard life and accident (SLAC) like some organizations are known to do because their profit margins are not as high on certain carriers.

So if you work 50 leads a week you don't have to work all of your leads, in fact you probably won't work all of your leads. But if you can average 8-10K a week...WHO CARES?

We have a diverse group. Another agent came to us about 4 months ago from a very large organization. He is on pace to win a carrier trip was well and he does NOT buy a single lead. He does about 5K plus each week using networking & referrals ONLY. 100% profit. We seem to be attracting veterans of the business as of late, he's also been in the business for 9 years.

So if you feel comfortable only buying/working 20 leads because you can see or touch them all then have at it.

Yea, we had a couple of agents who left recently. But don't forget about the ones that recently came to us as well. P & B & N all had great contracts. They were direct to me & all 3 of them had top contracts.

And Peter and N. knew absolutely nothing about the business when I met them. They had just passed their life insurance tests. So I say I've done a pretty decent job of helping them along the way. If they don't want to acknowledge that or appreciate what I've done that's OK but they can never run from the fact that I helped them get to where they are at today. Gregg Popovich loses assistant coaches who learn his system and leave to other teams in hopes they will become the next Gregg Popovich. And that's OK that is part of the natural progression of this business as long as it's done correctly. We are creating leaders. By the way, how many Peter's have you created? NONE! The one & only agent I know of winning a trip under your guidance AFTER ALL THESE YEARS was GK & he left you Ben.

Truth is we both have been at this game for a long time. We can keep slinging mud at each other all day long and it only makes us look bad. It helps no one. I'm done.

HAPPY belated FATHERS DAY EVERYONE!

Last edited:
I like your responses here Spur City, when someone acts like a bully trying to degrade someone it makes them look really unprofessional. Is anyone perfect in the insurance world? I've never met one. Just my two cents.

Back