Final Expense Lead Questions

SecureHealth1

Guru
100+ Post Club
Is there no one selling final expense by phone ethier buying internet leads or generating there own online? All im seeing is telemarketing, mailers, door knocking and face to face appointments? I just figured with all the health and life agent's killing out there buying internet leads and selling over the phone that I just assumed final expense would not be to far behind. Im licensed in 14 states and am thinking of branching out more into FE by phone and im a strong believer in generating my own leads online as I do now with term life and ind. health. Any input?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No One ?!?!?

Last edited:
Is there no one selling final expense by phone ethier buying internet leads or generating there own online? All im seeing is telemarketing, mailers, door knocking and face to face appointments? I just figured with all the health and life agent's killing out there buying internet leads and selling over the phone that I just assumed final expense would not be to far behind. Im licensed in 14 states and am thinking of branching out more into FE by phone and im a strong believer in generating my own leads online as I do now with term life and ind. health. Any input?
No One ?!?!?

FE is a different animal than term life or ind med by phone. I had a group of agents selling FE on the phone, but they are getting away from it because the persistency was aweful (about 90 days then lapsed). Most FE agents are getting clients by running appointments.

For leads, again, a different situation than the others you mentioned. We're talking about an older generation of clients who are not nearly as technology-savy and I have yet to see anyone successfully generate FE leads online as a result......yet. The FE Agents now are doing mailers, buying telemarketed leads, cold calling, door knocking and working referrals.

Will that change eventually? I hope so! But for now, the market is showing me that FE works best when sold in person.

We're finding that it's most easily sold after saving a senior $50 - $100 a month off of what they're currently paying for their Medicare Supplement policy. Most FE agents are hesitant to learn about med supps, and that's a shame. It provides the money FOR the FE sale..and six years of first-year commissions don't hurt, either! It's the best referral source I've ever seen (med supps & cross sell). Final expense quotes are easy to give and easily received when you've saved them money first.

FE is a different animal than term life or ind med by phone. I had a group of agents selling FE on the phone, but they are getting away from it because the persistency was aweful (about 90 days then lapsed). Most FE agents are getting clients by running appointments.

For leads, again, a different situation than the others you mentioned. We're talking about an older generation of clients who are not nearly as technology-savy and I have yet to see anyone successfully generate FE leads online as a result......yet. The FE Agents now are doing mailers, buying telemarketed leads, cold calling, door knocking and working referrals.

Will that change eventually? I hope so! But for now, the market is showing me that FE works best when sold in person.

Last edited:
No One ?!?!?
I only work referred leads or leads I develop out of my customer base. It is fine to work direct mail,internet leads or telemarketing leads but they do have a high laspe rate. Once you establish your client base and start getting a couple of referrals a week then you can relax some. I would work with a established agent a couple of days and see how he prospects. I have been in the grocery store and just talking to someone and end up giving my bus. card or just going by a convenience store and getting to know people there. They will remember you and you might just make a sale. Try and not make prospecting hard..relax and you will get these prospects and close sales

Chris,
Do you still recruit to sell FE over the phone?

Travis,

I still recruit to sell FE, but I don't push selling over the phone. That being said, a few of the companies I have do offer an FE product that can be sold by phone, by I now advise them that our experience has shown that selling in person to be a better method.
You are doing Med Sup over the phone too .. right, Chris ... with MOO?

Yes, I do have MoO and like their Med Sup's, which can be sold over the phone. Regardless, I'm still partial to Med Sup being sold in-person as opposed to over the phone. I have also seen that Med Sup leads have a much higher ROI when paired with FE.

Last edited:
Chris,
Do you still recruit to sell FE over the phone?

Hey, Travis. Sorry I didn't respond sooner - wasn't watching this thread.

Yes, selling FE over the phone with Baltimore Life with a good commission. They're in most states.
Also, Foresters will be opening up a few states for 100% phone sales. This is said to be taking place the first week of January - we have great contracts for them, too. Foresters, of course, has better rates and treat the agents VERY well.

The Medicare Supplement sale, then leading into a cross-sell after we've saved them $50 - $100 per month is definitely working out very well. The renewals from the Med Supps won't hurt, either!

Good to see ya on the forum, Travis. Hope you're doing well!

Chris

Last edited:
i think selling med supps and FE over the phone is definitly possible and could be very lucrative. but with my small amount of experience on the phone and in the field, its easier to sell them face to face. once you get the face to face down, then selling them over the phone would be much easier.

Back